S211 power bootlid re-opens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bolidemichael

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E500
On occasion, the powered bootlid for my 2003 estate re-opens after having pressed the red 'close' button. It closes to about 20% and then raises.

We are replacing the gas struts, which are knackered; they (the indy) mentioned that there is a potentiometer too, though it is unclear if this affects the behaviour described. Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Sometimes mine does the same, sometimes down to 40*, sometimes as far as 90. *(degrees) then just rises again. Not sure why, but have put it down to a low battery as it sometimes happens after the car has been standing for a week or so.

I would expect the potentiometer to be used for establishing tailgate position, i.e. setting the user configurable maximum opening height.

The re-open on close issue will be caused by the anti-trap protection, which I would expect to be measured by torque demand from the boot struts. Tired struts will demand more torque, and thus replacement of them should also cure the re-opening issue. Given that the torque demand is likely measured by the current demanded by the motors, it is possible (but probably considered in the programming) that a weak battery (lower voltage, thus needs higher current for the same electrical effort) could cause an anti-trap positive also.

I would expect you to be able to recreate the issue at will by manually, and deliberately stopping the boot close.

Martin.

That's an excellent response Martin, thank you.

At present, both batteries have been tested and the aux battery is being replaced under warranty, having been replaced in 2020 by the same indy. No issues were reported with the main battery.

It wasn't possible to recreate the issue at will, it would only occur periodically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom