S211 Shock Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary87

Car
S211 E350
Hello!

My first post here; I have an S211 E350 Avantgarde and have been experiencing a slight knock from the front left, a recent MOT confirmed that the shock is on its way out.

Im considering using the opportunity to upgrade the front shocks to Bilstein, either B4 or B6 and new springs whilst I am at it.

Has anyone went down a similar route? Did it ruin the ride? I don’t want it to be too firm but would be nice to remove some of the floatiness.

As there was no “Sport” model available in pre facelift W211, does my Avantgarde count as a vehicle with Sports Suspension?

Thanks,
G

Hello and welcome
Yes I did B6 shocks with Eibach springs and the ride,and ride control was sensational . If you do the B4 they’re brilliant too (a bit softer) but I would stick with oem springs with these. The B6 as it happens are perfect with standard springs too.

Wow, thanks for replying so quick!

Did you use lowering springs with the shocks or the Eibach replacement OEM springs? I like the way the car sits at the front so don’t want to drop it down even if it’s only 25-30mm.

Wow, thanks for replying so quick!

Did you use lowering springs with the shocks or the Eibach replacement OEM springs? I like the way the car sits at the front so don’t want to drop it down even if it’s only 25-30mm.
I did lower it and my Indy used star to lower the rear so it sat really well.

If you’re not a keen driver and not into the sheer differences between levels of compression and rebound through high speed motorway undulations etc ,as Gaz said, the B4s would be just fine.

If you’re not a keen driver and not into the sheer differences between levels of compression and rebound through high speed motorway undulations etc ,as Gaz said, the B4s would be just fine.

Ive generally always had performance cars, Integra’s, Cupra’s, Impreza’s, GTi’s etc so used to having a slightly more firm damping. Although the E350 isn’t “sporty” per se, there is definitely potential to at least at some driving enjoyment.

I don’t want to get the B4’s and then be thinking I should have got the B6 lol

The video linked was a good comparison

I've a B5.5 Passat with Eibach Pro kit and Bilstien B4 and I just wouldn't want any firmer.

And that's also coming from an S14 with BC coilovers .

Springs are the handling , dampers are the ride quality .

2018-03-06 06.56.30.png
2018-03-06 06.57.22.png

Ive generally always had performance cars, Integra’s, Cupra’s, Impreza’s, GTi’s etc so used to having a slightly more firm damping. Although the E350 isn’t “sporty” per se, there is definitely potential to at least at some driving enjoyment.

I don’t want to get the B4’s and then be thinking I should have got the B6 lol

The video linked was a good comparison
I get that. Buy the B6s.

On a big 211 the better control is really welcome I also put the B6s on the rear too and my car was genuinely one of the best motorway cruisers ever.

Attachments

• 46326125-0FB8-489A-8F0C-86CC1A777F75.jpeg
    46326125-0FB8-489A-8F0C-86CC1A777F75.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 8
When you have soft springs with firm dampers the ride quality is hard .

When you have firm springs with soft dampers the ride is bouncy .

I get that. Buy the B6s.

On a big 211 the better control is really welcome I also put the B6s on the rear too and my car was genuinely one of the best motorway cruisers ever.

I think I had already convinced myself that the B6 were the way to go but actually hearing from someone who has had B6 in their 211 especially as you also have a (very nice) estate.

I love the AMG Styling III on the 211, perfect period wheels I think.

I was trying to attach a pic but keeps saying the image is too large 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think I had already convinced myself that the B6 were the way to go but actually hearing from someone who has had B6 in their 211 especially as you also have a (very nice) estate.

I love the AMG Styling III on the 211, perfect period wheels I think.

I was trying to attach a pic but keeps saying the image is too large 🤷🏼‍♂️

gary87 did you fit the shock and spring upgrades to your car. Just curious to how you have found the ride and handling changes if you had.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome
Yes I did B6 shocks with Eibach springs and the ride,and ride control was sensational . If you do the B4 they’re brilliant too (a bit softer) but I would stick with oem springs with these. The B6 as it happens are perfect with standard springs too.

Will the B4 and B6 shocks work with the OEM springs on the S211. I would like lower the front just so slightly would that need lower springs for the front. As the rear is self leveling on mine.

Cheers.

gary87 did you fit the shock and spring upgrades to your car. Just curious to how you have found the ride and handling changes if you had.

Thanks.

I ended up going for the B4 with the Eibach front springs. I regret not going for the B6 being honest. Ride feels OEM but if I was doing it again, I would be going for the B6.

I ended up going for the B4 with the Eibach front springs. I regret not going for the B6 being honest. Ride feels OEM but if I was doing it again, I would be going for the B6.

Is that because the B6 offer a more sportier/firmer ride?

So do the B6 replace the rear airbags? Just idle curiosity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom