s211 Sticking nsr Caliper???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Ok, i recently had new Disc's and Pads on the rear of my s211 cdi (53) reg.

When i 1st got the car back i thought the parking brake effort was low and i'd noticed the nsr wheel wouldnt spin up easily by hand.

Anyway i asked th mechanic to check the parking brake adjustment which they did and it felt better and held the car nicely.

So i went for a 40mile drive at the usual 56mph and i thought the mpg was higher ie using more fuel. When i got home i couldnt touch the nsr wheel with my hand because it was hot. So i let it cool down and Again the wheel was tough to spin up by hand.

So i slackined the parking brake off and the wheel span up alittle easier but still not freely. i took it for a very short 3 mile drive and again the wheel wouldnt spin up by hand.

So, im thinking i have a Sticking caliper.

Is it straight forward fitting a new rear caliper with regards to the SBC system? Can you bleed the brakes without STAR??

Really apreciate any thoughts and advise on the above sorry for the long winded thread:thumb:

I have read this happening many times. Often its piston sticking, either due some wear/corrosion, or then remember one time when piston had actually damaged during the system adjusts pistons to touch.

You cannot bleed emergency circuit of system properly without star, but main circuit is doable somehow with pressure bleeder.

Just a little up date, jacked the car up and grabbed the caliper with both hands and gave it a good tug! Wheel spins up easy. took it for another short drive all seemed ok till about 8 mile then it stuck on again. Did the same, jacked the car up and couldnt move the wheel, gave it a tug and it spun free.

Would the above indicate a sticking caliper or is there somthing wrong sbc side?

Just a little up date, jacked the car up and grabbed the caliper with both hands and gave it a good tug! Wheel spins up easy. took it for another short drive all seemed ok till about 8 mile then it stuck on again. Did the same, jacked the car up and couldnt move the wheel, gave it a tug and it spun free.

Would the above indicate a sticking caliper or is there somthing wrong sbc side?

That's strange. I would expect a sticking calliper to stick and stay stuck.

capiper

Am i right in saying that the calipers have slider pins that need lubricating . Also a nice fitting disc pad in the caliper will help things .The piston pushes the pad and if its not easy to go in to the disc it will stick in the closed position. Did the garage put copper slip to the top and bottom or the disc pads to stop them from binding. You calipers may not be like mine ., But just an idea.

I had to have one replaced for an mot last year, despite having new pads and discs fitted the day before. Rust was the cause, and both the indy that fitted the brakes, and the main dealer who failed the mot had had a play with it, but it kept sticking. The brakes needed to be bled, which with SBC, I believe, is Star only.

Thankyou for all the replies, Ive spoken to Chris @ Cowdray Car Centre Colchester, over the phone he said it sounds like a sticking caliper,

Ive sourced a new Caliper and Brake hose for that side and Cowdray Car Centre are going to have alook at it for me Wednesday so i will keep you peeps informed.

Thanks again. :)

Could this be the flexible hose having collapsed internally?
It is not uncommon for the internal layer to collapse inwards and trap the brake on.

It is not uncommon for the internal layer to collapse inwards and trap the brake on.

Could be buddy but usually you cannot push the piston back which is why the caliper would then size, But i have a new flexi hose along with the caliper may as well change both whilst he is there.:thumb:

Can be the problem if brake hose clamps used it closes the old hose inside and fluid wont return to release pistons.

Can be the problem if brake hose clamps used it closes the old hose inside and fluid wont return to release pistons.

It becomes a one-way valve. Allows the brake to be applied but not released.
Diagnosis should be simple. Open bleed nipple and if fluid ejected and brake frees?....

Well dropped the car off to the garage this morning and left it with them, Strangly the nsr rear caliper was not even half as hot as before, BUT the osr wheel was very hot! so the problem seems either to be x2 rear caliper or floating between them both.....

Im think perhaps the abs pump is Goosed deep joy :(

Got the car back this afternoon, Having been fitted with a New N/s/r caliper and brake hose, drove the car home aprox 45 miles returned 44mpg instead of the 41 on the way up there. NSR wheel totally cold so thats sorted the osr was warm but i could still touch the disc without being burned. Looks like a new osr caliper will be on the cards in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom