S211 tailgate & gas struts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Troon

MB Enthusiast
Car
A big one
I have an S211 without the magic powered opening tailgate. Can anyone confirm for me that the tailgate should lift itself up once I've opened it a bit? Mine will hold itself up but needs pushing right from opening to full height.

I suspect the gas struts are getting a bit tired. I have the WIS instructions for replacing them which looks easier than I expected given their location. Genuine parts are A2119801964 and A2119802064 which Inchcape lists at over £80 each; there are some third-party parts available at about £30/pr posted. I've had success with this source for struts for my old Mondeo: has anyone here used them on their S211 tailgate?

Thanks for any input or advice. :)

Mine doesn't open itself either. Needs a push up. It has that annoying halfway stop which I always forget about and dunt my pate.

Is it supposed to open completely by itself when pressing the boot open button? Mine just pops open waiting for me to lift it.

I lift mine about half way and the struts do the rest

Is it supposed to open completely by itself when pressing the boot open button? Mine just pops open waiting for me to lift it.

Do you have a W211 estate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom