S211 Tailgate Gas Struts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E500TreVoR

Car
Mercedes E500 Estate & TVR Chimaera 450
I have had a poke about in the search and haven't come with anything definitive. I have been quoted £85 per side for struts and four hours labour for changing them.

I can get the struts cheaper and I understand from the search that it isn't necessary to drop the entire headlining which saves the time.

If anyone can point me in the right direction on how to change these that would be great.

Thanks.

Not sure about the 211, but my S210 is doing the same thing, but it is something that can be done at home if you are into DIY, there is 2 pieces of headlining that need removed, not the whole thing, just at the sides and this exposes the struts, then the retaining clips need removed from the ends of the ball joints of the struts and they should come away, just make sure to have the boot open and held up with something, struts should be no more that about £50 for the both of them

Read through this thread carefully first:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/159285-w211-estate-boot-door-heavy.html

Make sure the parts you get are the big ones with the spring — you should be able to see the existing strut in situ to confirm that's what you need. I've not found these under £60/side — the cheaper SGS ones are not the correct parts.

If you still want the instructions, PM me. If you don't have the power-close boot lid, I'd guess about 2½ fiddly hours to do both sides having removed and replaced one side (with the old one!) myself.

Last edited:
Hi Troon. Have only just seen this as for some reason I didn't get notified of the reply. I will send you a PM. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom