s211 tailgate lock failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
It looks like mine has gone. The tailgate worked fine yesterday but when I opened it today and closed it again it wouldn't latch. I can't get the latch to engage manually whereas the c class will so I imagine its the latch itself. It seems a relatively common issue.
New OEM parts seem to be 175 or so for the whole lock part is 1647400635.
Anyone found a good source of this sort of thing. I've not tried MB but I imagine it will be a bit of a shock. Might try tomorrow for giggles.
Anyone fitted one?

Updated part no apparently A1647400500

Apparently this isn't the correct part for an e class. I'll update when the right bit arrives from MB

DavidL: did you receive the correct part? I know it was a while ago ... I have a similar problem with my 2005 S211 320 Cdi Estate: the lock has jammed closed so the tailgate won't shut and I have had to remove it and keep the tailgate closed with a bungee cable (and it is parked on a public road). The number of the original part in the car is:

A2117400036 (shown in the photo)

This seems to have been replaced by:

A2117400535 (though I have also seen reference to A2117400635)

If anyone has a manual diagram showing how to dismantle and refit this part I would be grateful. Mine has to cables (one red, one yellow) for the external and internal lock-pulls, but I forgot to note down when I dismantled the tailgate which way round it was - red for external latch, yellow for internal latch, or the other way round?!? If anyone can help I would be grateful!

TIA
Tim

A2117400036.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom