S211 Towbar electrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilG

Car
'08 S211 320 CDI Sport
I bought a 2009 MY S211 last summer which has a witter detachable towbar fitted which looks like it has never been used. I've figured out how to connect the swan neck thing but the electrical coupling is inside the bumper and there's not enough room to connect the harness from my ebay special bike rack. It looks like there should be some kind of 90 degree adapter? Does anyone have one of these to share their experience?

My previous 2009 S211 had a removable towbar fitted and the electrical socket was pivoted so that it could be swung up and out of the way when not being used. Yours likely has a similar arrangement, but could well be seized if it hasn't been used for a long time - see if you can get some penetrating oil applied to where it might pivot.

My previous 2009 S211 had a removable towbar fitted and the electrical socket was pivoted so that it could be swung up and out of the way when not being used. Yours likely has a similar arrangement, but could well be seized if it hasn't been used for a long time - see if you can get some penetrating oil applied to where it might pivot.
My first thought too 👍🏻

Yes you're probably right on this, that would make sense. The towbar unit was very seized and took a lot of penetrating fluid to get to work again. I'll crawl around underneath and report back!

Yep, bit of fluid and a 13mm spanner got the mechanism free and now have a 7 pin plug emerging from below the bumper. Thanks both.

Glad it’s sorted 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom