S211 Towbar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e220estate

Car
E220 Estate 2006 S211 T model
Hi All - Just become a Mercedes owner with 2006 S211 E220 estate after the rust bug got my big Ford Estate. Anyway....am having problems with the rear Parkatronic sensors and while on my back under the rear bumper I noticed that there was a large diameter tubular metal cross-piece bolted into the chassis rails on either side and running full width behind the rear bumper. It has 2 parallel mounting plates on it in the centre (at 90 degrees to the cross-piece) which don't look as though they have ever been used to bolt anything into. Would this be a standard fitment just waiting for somebody to want a tow bar fitted and taken it to their dealer to complete the set up? Is it just a matter of getting the swan neck and electrics and I have a tow bar (which I do need) does anybody know? TIA. Brian

A Scot called Druk will be along shortly to answer your query in a very knowledgeable and professional manner

This is the main towbar crossmember. It's not a standard item but is fitted in place of the rear bumper reinforcement beam which is then surplus. Whether it is a factory fit or aftermarket will only be determined by a decode of your datacard on the EPC. Or you might find a makers tag with the weight limit stuck to the beam. That would be a clue. OEM is usually Oris or Bosal make.

Have you looked in the sparewheel well for the towball part? You might just be surprised.

And is there any evidence of towbar electrics?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Went underneath for a better look - no labels but I can now see that something has previously been bolted in (pics attached). Will get into the spare wheel area when it stops raining!

Attachments

• tow bar 1 (Large).jpg
    tow bar 1 (Large).jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tow bar 2 (Large).jpg
    tow bar 2 (Large).jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 13
I fitted a detachable bosal towbar to my 211 a couple of weeks ago, it doesn't look like yours though. The cross brace is less rounded. With this one the bumper reinforcement beam is reused, just mounted differently when you put it back on.

I've had a look around the Bosal/Oris catalogues and all the tow bar cross braces look rectangular in section - as do several after-market ones I have seen. I was also trying to work out whether any of the holes in the swan necks looked as though they would line up with those in the attachment plates on mine. It didn't seem to me that they obviously did.:confused:

My 211 had a factory folding Oris bar. The most unhelpful company that ever walked the face...bar none. It had a heavy square section bar as does the latest Bosal detachable I fitted to the 212. (not an easy job either because of mis-aligned holes :wallbash:).

I believe Bosal and Oris have amalgamated. Now called Boris :fail :D.

How about approaching the previous owner to see if they have the ball in the shed? These things are usually supplied as a complete package.

Another avenue. Get in touch with PF Jones Towbars and ask if they can help with ID'ing the thing. Their own brand bar looks promising...

Mercedes E Class Estate S211 2002-2010 Towbars

They're also a good source of wiring looms.

And BTW, the lowermost hole in your second pic is the attachment point for the trailer breakaway cable.

A good point! Will follow up on the previous owner & PF Jones and thanks again for your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom