S211: Very odd self levelling issue...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigBas

Car
W211 E270CDI
Morning All!

This is my first post here, I have been on the forums for a while, but never posted so...hi!

I was hoping you kind folks might be able to help me understand a very baffling problem I am having with my 2003 S211 E270CDI. It has standard fitted Self Levelling rear suspension (no airmatic) which is sinking now and again. It usually sinks overnight, but never in the same time frame. I can come home from work around 5pm, and by 8pm, its on the the bump stops. Other days, I can park it up, and its fine for 2-3 days, until the next morning, its sunk again!! I have not been able to find a pattern in it at all, it sinks evenly on both sides, it doesn't matter whether its on a hill or not, and it doesn't sink consistently enough for it to be a leak, I don't get it!

From what I understand of the system, it is pretty 'basic' in that, there are not a lot of components to it, as opposed to airmatic with the ride height control and 3 level sensors and the expansion tanks etc etc.
When I bought the car from the private dealer, he said that it sinks sometimes but pumps right back up, which it did. Then, a month later, the compressor couldn't lift the car up anymore, and needed replacing. I took the old compressor apart, and it was completely rusted inside. Understandably, compressing air condenses the humid air into water particles, which should be absorbed by the silica gel that's in there, but it was completely saturated, and rusted everything inside instead. Great!

So the compressor has been replaced, and I replaced the level sensor on the rear also, to no avail. If anything, it seemed to make it worse. To me, it seems to point more and more to a leak, but what kind of leak picks and chooses when to leak!!

Any help would be much appreciated on this, I really don't know where to look anymore. I can feel soon the compressor will be buggered again because its having to lift the car from the bump stops every other day!

Kind Regards,

Bas Van Der Hoeven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom