S212 220cdi Torque Converter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ryans212

Car
S212 220cdi
Hi new to the forum and after some help. My 2011 s212 220cdi is suffering from an issue with the Torque converter and I'm going to change it. Going to use a second hand unit to get me buy but struggling to get a part number for it to maybe find one from an alternative model?

Can anyone help with what Mercs shared the same torque converter or a part number?

This is my yoke

Many thanks 😊

Attachments

• 20200904_184539.jpg (2).png
    20200904_184539.jpg (2).png
    894.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200904_184631.jpg (1).png
    20200904_184631.jpg (1).png
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
This place maybe able to help with a remanufactured torque convertor.

Hope that blows up OK mate.

Attachments

• 20220316_081828.jpg
    20220316_081828.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Torque convertor Part # A 212 25 002 02
You have a 722.646 transmission according to your Vin#
This is the electronic parts catalogue for your car, again taken from your Vin#

If you are interested, this is your data card showing what was fitted to the car when built.

I've found a torque converter from a w207. The part number is this

A222 250 05 02​

Different than my own but from a 5 speed. Any ideas if it will fit?

Cheers

OP . bit more information might help us to help you save a shed load of time and money.

WHY exactly are you changing the torque converter ? What path of fault finding did you take to decide the TC is at fault ?

PS . It's not only whether the 'new' torque converter fits It's whether the internal build is suited to your transmission/engine , stall speed/torque etc.

OP . bit more information might help us to help you save a shed load of time and money.

WHY exactly are you changing the torque converter ? What path of fault finding did you take to decide the TC is at fault ?

PS . It's not only whether the 'new' torque converter fits It's whether the internal build is suited to your transmission/engine , stall speed/torque etc.

Thanks for the reply. Just need to know what torque converter will work with my gearbox. Part numbers and if any part numbers cross over to suit.

Thanks for all the help guys. Got one. Next thing is to fit the bugger lol. Any obvious pitfalls in this. Is surprises that require Merc Diagnostics etc or anything beyond a normal change process.

Again any help appreciated. On a budget with this but experienced with the tools.

Not sure if it applies to your particular gearbox but some time ago on here someone completely fooked their transmission while replacing the TC.

If I remember correctly the transmission must be in the vertical position (I think putting it in a stack of old tyres was the method used) For the TC to seat properly , its a matter of a few millimetres that go unspotted when bolting the transmission back on the engine that compresses a bearing or a spacer and the transmission is toast.

This might not apply to your application and I might have got some of the fact's wrong (bad memory !) but do a search just in case. :thumb:

After watching something like this it really makes you wonder how MB got the 'sealed for life' bull$hit to be accepted. Clearly a case of accountants sticking their finger in their ears and saying 'la lla llalllal' (or the German equivalent) when the engineers were telling them what a bad idea it was .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

would still be nice to know why your changing it or what you think is wrong with it?
I've changed the torque lock solenoid
I've flushed the oil

Based on these issues

From cold the car will stall going into drive.... Will try and push on at junctions when in drive(extreme creep) ... you cannot sit in drive while stationary

I've concluded from that it needs a torque converter

Any one anything to add on the process for changing the torque converter? Going to give it a bash this week hopefully

Good luck with it all, seems you will need it.

Never known a TC go on a merc.

Bump up

So

Torque converter changed
Torque lock solenoid changed
Full gearbox service

Car from cold will thump into drive or reverse, when warn will be alot better tho still groan if you where in drive with foot on brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom