S212 (air) suspension drop, deliberate maybe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GreenLaner

Car
2012/3 E250 CDI Est.
Hello,

I've had an issue for a while where my E-class (2012/3 est.) rear suspension drops over the course of a couple of days. I decided to check for leaks at the joints for the valve block and compressor, none found. While laying there looking for bubbles the car just gave a 1-2 second discharge of air from somewhere, and the suspension dropped maybe half an inch? Not much.

It was parked, engine off, battery still connected. Would it "self level" in that situation?

Thanks,

Scott

Air suspended cars parked on uneven ground do try to self-level when parked up, at least my CLS55 did

Hello,

I've had an issue for a while where my E-class (2012/3 est.) rear suspension drops over the course of a couple of days. I decided to check for leaks at the joints for the valve block and compressor, none found. While laying there looking for bubbles the car just gave a 1-2 second discharge of air from somewhere, and the suspension dropped maybe half an inch? Not much.

It was parked, engine off, battery still connected. Would it "self level" in that situation?

Thanks,

Scott
Yes they will when you get out it rises and then lowers to its normal height, your drop is almost certainly due to a small leak on an Airbag however before you start throwing money at it get the level sensors etc checked on a proper diagnostic if it all comes back as fine its normally a slow bag leak, change both its unlikely one will last much longer than the other. normally they drop in colder weather a little but leaky ones tend to drop way down

Revival!
I replaced both airbags this week, and the valve block… still sank but only on the driver’s side. Then I found a leaky pipe (hidden behind the compressor). Fixed that with a cut/join, but still losing height overnight. Decided to replace the whole pipe instead… now got to wait until tomorrow to be sure.

Yes they will when you get out it rises and then lowers to its normal height, your drop is almost certainly due to a small leak on an Airbag however before you start throwing money at it get the level sensors etc checked on a proper diagnostic if it all comes back as fine its normally a slow bag leak, change both its unlikely one will last much longer than the other. normally they drop in colder weather a little but leaky ones tend to drop way down
Re. the sensors, they are reporting sensible values although of course while sat in the driver’s seat I can see my side about 9mm lower. Might be because of my, er, generous weight.

Re. the sensors, they are reporting sensible values although of course while sat in the driver’s seat I can see my side about 9mm lower. Might be because of my, er, generous weight.
Nope they level regardless of loads that's the whole point of it, is it full air or just rear?
If it's had parts changed it normally will need calibration if it's the full system, I know mine always has to be done if any major changes are made or it just defaults to factory sports setting which is 20mm lower and stiffer it, should do the same at over 70 as well but without the full stiffness of sport

@suty455 - just rears.

A replacement single pipe from bag to valve appears to have addressed the issue :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom