S212 air suspension, one side sits lower when parked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robaa

Car
E220CDI (S212)
Hi All,

My E220 CDI estate (2012 model S212) has air suspension at the back, as I gather is standard in this range. Lately I've noticed that after it's been parked for a few days, the passenger side rear corner sits lower than the other; not by a huge margin, maybe, but enough for me to notice. I've heard such horror stories about failing air suspension that I'd like to nip any problems in the bud, so:
  1. Does this indicate a potential problem, and if so, any ideas what sort might it be?
  2. Is it possible / a good idea to get the system tested to see if there's a leak etc., before things get worse?

Any other helpful pointers would also be welcome!

TIA,
robaa

Hi,

Self-leveling rear suspension is standard on all E Class Estates.

It is simpler than the full airmatic suspension system which you might be fearing.

If it is sinking on one side or both sides there must be a leak somewhere (unless the car is parked sideways on a slope).
It might be in the pipework but probably in the air suspension unit.

If they are the originals, they're 8 years old now and the rubber in the air suspension units is probably perished and leaking slightly.

Leaving it until it gets worse is probably fine.

However, the compressor is having to work harder to pump up the car so it is worth rectifying before it gets too bad or the pump might also fail.

Mine was dropping noticeably overnight and completely down on both sides after about a week of no usage of the car.
I replaced the units on my 2011 S212 over 3 years ago. The parts (non-MB) were about £350 for both sides and I fitted them myself.

Hi,

Self-leveling rear suspension is standard on all E Class Estates.

It is simpler than the full airmatic suspension system which you might be fearing.

If it is sinking on one side or both sides there must be a leak somewhere (unless the car is parked sideways on a slope).
It might be in the pipework but probably in the air suspension unit.

If they are the originals, they're 8 years old now and the rubber in the air suspension units is probably perished and leaking slightly.

Leaving it until it gets worse is probably fine.

However, the compressor is having to work harder to pump up the car so it is worth rectifying before it gets too bad or the pump might also fail.

Mine was dropping noticeably overnight and completely down on both sides after about a week of no usage of the car.
I replaced the units on my 2011 S212 over 3 years ago. The parts (non-MB) were about £350 for both sides and I fitted them myself.

Thanks, that sounds pretty much where I'm at, and will act as you suggest.

Cheers,
robaa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom