S212 audio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobKnapp

Car
S212 220cdi
Hi, not sure I’ve put this in the right place so apologies!

I’m considering what options are available to improve the audio in my 2014 S212. It has the standard system with Comand online, and whilst it’s quite good, it just seems a little underwhelming

I’m not an audio enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination, but I ‘think’ I’d like a bit more clarity and perhaps it to sound a little ‘fuller’ with the system able to produce some lower tones. I don’t want big woofers in the boot and I’d imagine that based on what the speakers are producing already, it probably isn’t needed.

I had a w205 last with the Burmester system and whilst I was pretty disappointed with it especially at higher volumes where it cut out the bass, it was (obviously) significantly better than the standard in the car I have now.

I’m not looking to spend huge amounts on big setups, but conversely dont mind spending a bit of the results are good.

I’ve read a few posts, and plan on investigating the options that Comand have with the Morel speaker packages they have, but have also been considering the various plug in DSP and Amp solutions that are available. What are people’s thoughts on my best route forward?

Thanks in advance. Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, not sure I’ve put this in the right place so apologies!

I’m considering what options are available to improve the audio in my 2014 S212. It has the standard system with Comand online, and whilst it’s quite good, it just seems a little underwhelming

I’m not an audio enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination, but I ‘think’ I’d like a bit more clarity and perhaps it to sound a little ‘fuller’ with the system able to produce some lower tones. I don’t want big woofers in the boot and I’d imagine that based on what the speakers are producing already, it probably isn’t needed.

I had a w205 last with the Burmester system and whilst I was pretty disappointed with it especially at higher volumes where it cut out the bass, it was (obviously) significantly better than the standard in the car I have now.

I’m not looking to spend huge amounts on big setups, but conversely dont mind spending a bit of the results are good.

I’ve read a few posts, and plan on investigating the options that Comand have with the Morel speaker packages they have, but have also been considering the various plug in DSP and Amp solutions that are available. What are people’s thoughts on my best route forward?

Thanks in advance. Rob.

I upgraded the front door speakers to JBL units with separate tweeters and crossovers - around 150.00 all in and significantly improved the clarity of vocals and a lot more body.
I can dig out details if you're interested - I completed the job in an afternoon with very little effort...

If you upgrade the speakers take the opportunity to add plenty of sound deadening to the inside of the door panels - makes a big difference, Dynamat or similar.

Thanks both. Were the JBL's a good fit, particularly the tweeters - presume you placed them in the standard location? And is there space for the crossovers behind the door card, or did you need to route the cables back into the cabin?
Sound deadening would also be high on my list, I did see a picture when browsing a while ago and it looked like without drilling out a load of pop rivets, its only do-able via the speaker hole - is this the case?
Thanks both...
Rob

The doors are very solid and standard speakers are riveted to door skin with silicon sealant ro stop vibration. The JBL mids attached with conversion rings - I used sealant and re-riveted to door skin - no vibration at all. The tweeters were mounted in original grilles at top front of doors - much better quality than the standard stuff. The crossovers fitted nicely above mid speakers in between the door card and door skin. The crossovers could also be mounted in the cabin with wiring to both mids and tweeters if you preferred that route. The upgrade is not noticeable in any way visibly but the sounds quality is WAY better.

The doors are very solid and standard speakers are riveted to door skin with silicon sealant ro stop vibration. The JBL mids attached with conversion rings - I used sealant and re-riveted to door skin - no vibration at all. The tweeters were mounted in original grilles at top front of doors - much better quality than the standard stuff. The crossovers fitted nicely above mid speakers in between the door card and door skin. The crossovers could also be mounted in the cabin with wiring to both mids and tweeters if you preferred that route. The upgrade is not noticeable in any way visibly but the sounds quality is WAY better.

Great info, thanks for taking the time. Think I might have just found the birthday idea the wife is bugging me for! [emoji23]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom