s212 bi turbo! 24k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pre-facelift bi-turbos were 525bhp -

W211 E55K 5.4 476bhp
W211 E63 6.2 514bhp

W212 E63 6.2 525bhp
W212 E63 5.5 525bhp (pre facelift)
W212 E63 5.5 550bhp (facelift)
W212 E63 S 585bhp (facelift)

W213 E63 4.0 563bhp
W213 E63 S 4.0 603bhp
W213 E63 S Edition 1 4.0 603bhp
Wow my poor old std E55 is so weedy ...

Curve ball

Longman H’s 2014 Facelift E63 with 65k Miles in the classifieds - 26,995.....

So far as the possible M157 camchain tensioner issue is concerned, the engine number is: 15798160021430. I haven't had time to do it yet, but I'll try to find out if it is in the range of engines at risk.

Form the XENTRY document, M157 engines prior to 157 9xx 60 022333 (December 2012),

Curve ball

Longman H’s 2014 Facelift E63 with 65k Miles in the classifieds - 26,995.....

Thanks, but I'd already seen that. Palladium silver isn't much to my taste, and I don't like the front end on the facelift 212 either, so that one is not for me.

Form the XENTRY document, M157 engines prior to 157 9xx 60 022333 (December 2012),

Oh Bugger! (possibly...). Is the symptom just a rattling camchain? Is there any way I can easily check if it has been done before I go down to see/buy it? I have the VIN, of course, as well as the engine number.

Was it the subject of a recall, or just fixed if it cropped up within the warranty period?

How certain are you that the problem would have shown up by now if it had not been fixed, and if by some mischance it reared its ugly head, how much would it cost to have it sorted?

The car has a full MB service history (six annual services); if it was previously a warranty repair, would there be any chance of getting a goodwill contribution, does the forum think?

Doubt if you'll make it unless you hire a snow plough to get you there?

Should be clearing by Sunday afternoon/Monday on current forecasts. I'm watching them closely.

Thank you very much for the information. I've found the XENTRY document, and if necessary mine would only need the check valves. Is this a heads off job, or can it be done with the heads in situ? I wouldn't do it myself either way, but I'd like to have some idea of the potential cost; is it an armannaleg, or a sacrifice first-born child job?

Could be a deal-breaker; I still need saving from myself...

Last edited:
Still the best car on that list though! :D

Yes, I know, but I'm losing hope of finding the one that I want, if indeed there's one still out there. If there is, the selfish b4st4rd who owns it is keeping it quiet...

See post #53.

Unless you mean facelift with PP?
I already did and I'm sorry to say that you're wrong.

All base E63 facelift cars, regardless of year, are 557hp (metric) and 720Nm torque. All facelift E63S cars, regardless of year, are 585hp (metric) and 800Nm torque.

All pre-facelift E63 Biturbos are 525hp (metric) and 700Nm torque. All pre-facelift E63 Biturbo with AMG Performance Package Plus are 557hp (metric) and 800Nm torque.

There are lots of dealer adverts that incorrectly quote 525hp for facelift cars - even 2015/2016 ones - which is where the confusion starts.

FWIW, my pre-facelift E63 with AMG Performance Package Plus which was completely standard dyno'd at 517bhp and 555ft.lb at the wheels on Acid's dyno. Assuming 18% transmission losses that's 630hp (metric) and 918Nm torque at the crank.

However, all this is a bit academic. They're great cars with huge performance whether they're in pre-facelift, PPP, facelift or S guise.

Oh Bugger! (possibly...). Is the symptom just a rattling camchain? Is there any way I can easily check if it has been done before I go down to see/buy it? I have the VIN, of course, as well as the engine number.
Unless MB are prepared to give out the information based on their record of the vehicle's history, I know of no way to find out.

If it does show up, it will only be from a cold start after the car has stood for many hours - at least 8 - and it's a quite distinctive chain thrashing noise that lasts for a few seconds and then shuts up.

One of the difficulties of assessing engine noises from an M157 is that they are quite a clattery engine even when they're in fine fettle, so it's easy to hear "unnerving sounds" that are totally benign. For example, my pre-facelift car at 44k miles would exhibit a light knock under load in cold conditions until it had been running for a couple of minutes. When I bought my facelift car (which had just 830miles on the odo) I found it did exactly the same!
Was it the subject of a recall, or just fixed if it cropped up within the warranty period?
No, it was only dealt with under warranty if the car was presented with the fault. My pre-facelift car was fixed under warranty at around 24k miles.
How certain are you that the problem would have shown up by now if it had not been fixed, and if by some mischance it reared its ugly head, how much would it cost to have it sorted?
I would have thought that if it had the problem it would have been fixed by now, but that's only a guess. It's done with the engine in situ and doesn't need the heads off. From memory it was best part of two days labour + the parts (cam chains, tensioners, etc.).
The car has a full MB service history (six annual services); if it was previously a warranty repair, would there be any chance of getting a goodwill contribution, does the forum think?
If the search feature was working I could probably find the thread for you, but someone here (Adam?) had the issue out of warranty and MB flat refused any contribution. YMMV, though.

It's done with the engine in situ and doesn't need the heads off. From memory it was best part of two days labour + the parts (cam chains, tensioners, etc.).

I think/hope we might be talking about different problems; you're not thinking partially of the V6 balancer shaft top-end problems, are you?

The bulletin states:

"Complaint: Engine rattling noise after engine start for several seconds

Cause: Secondary timing chains might produce a rattling sound during engine start up until the engine oil pressure builds up. Once there is sufficient oil pressure created in secondary chain tensioners, they provide operating tensions to timing chains and the rattling stops. No consequential damage is to be expected. (My italics).

Remedy: Install non-return valves (check valves) and replace left and right secondary chain tensioners as required. Install check valves by inserting them into the tensioner oil supply opening in the left and the right cylinder head. Correctly installed check valves and optimized secondary chain tensioners will minimize oil drainage from tensioners....

...2) From engine number 157 9xx 60 017985 up to engine number 157 9xx 60 022333 (December 2012) install check valves (optimized tensioners installed in this production range)."

The engine in that car should, at worst, only need the non-return valves installed. Mercedes considered that what sounds like relatively minor work only was needed; were they wrong?

I think/hope we might be talking about different problems; you're not thinking partially of the V6 balancer shaft top-end problems, are you?
No, we're talking about the same thing: the secondary timing chain tensioners.

I bought my pre-facelift car at around 22 months old with 19k miles on the clock. I noticed the rattle on startup from cold and reported it to the dealer who did the remedial work as per the XENTRY document when the car had around 24k miles on it (actually, I was the one that first alerted this forum to that bulletin). In the case of my engine they installed the check valves, and replaced the secondary chain tensioners. AFAIK, they changed the secondary chains too.

No, we're talking about the same thing: the secondary timing chain tensioners.

I bought my pre-facelift car at around 22 months old with 19k miles on the clock. I noticed the rattle on startup from cold and reported it to the dealer who did the remedial work as per the XENTRY document when the car had around 24k miles on it (actually, I was the one that first alerted this forum to that bulletin). In the case of my engine they installed the check valves, and replaced the secondary chain tensioners. AFAIK, they changed the secondary chains too.

Thank you for that. Fair enough; either they replaced the chains as a precaution, as good practice to avoid new tensioners and old chains running together, or the bulletin was wrong about consequential damage. This car has an engine from near the end of the affected range, with the improved tensioners installed at the factory, so there's probably more chance of it being OK anyway.

I'll try asking my local dealer if the work has been done, but they've not been very helpful in the past with this sort of query, so I'm not hopeful. I'll go through the paperwork to see if I can identify anything when I go and see it, and ask the owner not to run it for 24 hours before then.

My gut feeling at the moment is that whatever the result, I'd take a chance, so this possible issue is not a deal-breaker.

[QUOTE="E55BOF, post:I want it, but it would be more sensible not to have it. For God's sake, somebody buy it and save me from myself....[/QUOTE]...
Then "Usurp" this...

[QUOTE="E55BOF, post:
That'll do me; I think I'll like it...[/QUOTE]
Then..
[QUOTE="E55BOF, post:..and if necessary MINE!!![/QUOTE]
I think you'd just better get the best Insurance quotes as you'll be bringing this baby home Lol...Good luck & have fun!!!

Oooops. You may think that 'MINE' is a Freudian slip, but I couldn't possibly comment...

Thanks, but I'd already seen that. Palladium silver isn't much to my taste, and I don't like the front end on the facelift 212 either, so that one is not for me.
Pity really, as the facelift car does have some advantages.

Hmmmm... I'd be very interested to know what you would say they are in particular? I've only driven a facelift W212, so there might be something I couldn't live with in the pre-facelift.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom