s212 bi turbo! 24k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is indeed Mystic Blue; see the German info text.

I see it has 'steel/air suspension'; I take it that's not Airmatic, then?

Has anyone driven one of these and an E55K, though, and can compare them for me? The M113K is an all-time great engine, and a very hard act to follow. I could live with 549 bhp, I think :devil:, but it's not just about how much power, and I absolutely love the way the earlier engine delivers its power.

It's not quite what I'm looking for - I'd like a light-coloured (ideally light honey-brown) interior, and the headlining is black, which I don't like - but the rest of it looks pretty good.

I'll sleep on it...

It is indeed Mystic Blue; see the German info text.

Has anyone driven one of these and an E55K, though, and can compare them for me? The M113K is an all-time great engine, and a very hard act to follow. I could live with 549 bhp, I think :devil:, but it's not just about how much power, and I absolutely love the way the earlier engine delivers its power.

It's not quite what I'm looking for - I'd like a light-coloured (ideally light honey-brown) interior, and the headlining is black, which I don't like - but the rest of it looks pretty good.

I'll sleep on it...
Really best to drive one. I don't think you would be disappointed. I think I would accept a dark interior if it meant I could get my hands on a Designo Mystic Blue car. Beautiful colour.

My ideal engine is the M156 6.2, but adapting to the M157 5.5 was easy enough, and I think that's a bigger difference in power delivery than it is from the M113K 5.4 to the M157 5.5.

I've yet to drive an AMG with an engine which I couldn't get along with, with one small exception, the M133 2.0 in the 45 cars were great fun but a bit too intense for commuting or family duties.

I'll sleep on it...

As I learnt yesterday or the day before, it's air at the rear and steel at the front.

In terms of driving - depends what you want.

I preferred the E55 as it is softer and more comfortable. Prefer the smoothness of the old slushy too.

I drove a 14 plate mind although the facelift is reported to be more comfortable according to some on here.

I think they headed more "R" than "GT" with the E63.

I'd try it if that doesn't put you off.

They're all pretty potent, but what I liked most about the 55K was the sledgehammer hit of torque almost from idle. I don't care for high-revving engines, so I suspect the n/a 6.2 would not be to my liking. Bobby Dazzler, would you care to say which end of the spectrum the 5.5 twin turbo is nearer to?

And what is the exhaust sound like? I prefer my right foot, rather than the tailpipes, to do the talking.

They're all pretty potent, but what I liked most about the 55K was the sledgehammer hit of torque almost from idle. I don't care for high-revving engines, so I suspect the n/a 6.2 would not be to my liking. Bobby Dazzler, would you care to say which end of the spectrum the 5.5 twin turbo is nearer to?

And what is the exhaust sound like? I prefer my right foot, rather than the tailpipes, to do the talking.
The 5.5tt is much closer in character to the 5.5k, than it is to the 6.2. The torque is generous and over a broad range of engine speed.

The 5.5tt is very loud on (cold) start up, and it's natural sound is deep, with a "sharper" edge than the (relatively) more mellow sound of the 55k. Sounds great, but not lovely IMHO.

As I learnt yesterday or the day before, it's air at the rear and steel at the front.

In terms of driving - depends what you want.

I preferred the E55 as it is softer and more comfortable. Prefer the smoothness of the old slushy too.

I drove a 14 plate mind although the facelift is reported to be more comfortable according to some on here.

I think they headed more "R" than "GT" with the E63.

I'd try it if that doesn't put you off.

It sounds as though the suspension is quite stiff, and the gearbox quite aggressive in its changes, or am I reading too much into it?

You really need to take a drive in one to determine how stiff the suspension feels to you as it's so subjective. I think the general view is that it's definitely stiffer than the W/S211 on air, but whether you find that an issue or not is another matter.

The gear changes when set in Comfort mode feel very like a normal slush-box. In Sport mode they become a bit quicker and have a slight "edge" to them. In Sport+ mode they are faster still and have a definite thud to them on full-bore upshifts, but are still relatively smooth on lighter throttle. Downshifts in Sport and Sport+ are accompanied by throttle blips and are quite smooth (even if quite raucous).

Thanks Phil; that's helpful. I could live with the Sport suspension package on the W212, though my E500 211 Avantgarde on air is better; more like what I perceive to be the traditional Mercedes drive, in fact.

My XK's shifts in Sport mode become noticeably more aggressive, which is fun when I'm in the mood, but it's usually in just Drive; I'd surely leave the E63 in Comfort nearly all the time too, and it sounds as if gearchange quality should be fine.

I wouldn't want a car that was noisy when I didn't want it to be, though; what's it like cruising at, say, 95-100 mph on the Continent, can you say?

The car's in Poole, best part of two hours away, and I just know that if I go to see it, I'll come home in it, so I'm trying to get as much input as I can before I decide. I'm still tempted...

I wouldn't want a car that was noisy when I didn't want it to be, though; what's it like cruising at, say, 95-100 mph on the Continent, can you say?
It's pleasantly calm and subdued cruising at 3-figure speeds. As a general point, when cruising the dominant noise is tyre roar which all W/S212's have. Engine & exhaust-wise, there's always a gentle low-level rumble but it's by no means intrusive - in fact the overall noise level inside the car is very similar to that in the E350CDI I used to have when in cruise.

Under acceleration you get the characteristic AMG growl, which turns into more of a roar on full throttle. The way I'd describe it is that it's quiet unless you want it to be loud(er), but inside the cabin it never gets irritating.

Oh my goodness thats nice Gav! Very bloody nice!

I much prefer the 5.5tt to my old CL's 5.5k engine, which was very impressive until i drove the Bi-turbo. I totally agree with Phil and Rob, the low down torque is amazing and is never ending + Mystic Blue an incredible colour in the metal :cool::D:)

One thing he mentions is that it has Distronic + I can't see it on the Oasis and it doesn't have the front grill Distronic Cover !!

The car with all those options must have been very expensive.

Last edited:
Thank you, gentlemen. You're none of you making it any easier to resist, are you?

Distronic doesn't figure on my list of would-likes, let alone must-haves.

Was a power tailgate standard on these? I don't see it on the datacard list.

That's fine, some people won't buy a car without Disronic ( Me being one ) might have travelled a long way to find it was not fitted.

Why list it ?? He also doesn't know what Colour his car is. :eek: Not everyone has access to our wonderful Forum who supply Data cards, wonder what else he has listed that he doesn't know about :rolleyes: Just a thought.

Was a power tailgate standard on these? I don't see it on the datacard list.
It was standard as of the April 2012 price list. Not sure if that helps :devil:

Good spot from Peter re: Distronic Plus too. I don't see Option Code 23P on the datacard, so it doesn't have it.

wonder what else he has listed that he doesn't know about :rolleyes: Just a thought.
Also in the advert text it mentions the Luxury Package, but I can't see Option Code P34 on the datacard either? Easiest way to check is it will have an Alcantara headliner (Option Code 61U - not on the datacard either) if it has the Luxury Package.

It sounds as though the suspension is quite stiff, and the gearbox quite aggressive in its changes, or am I reading too much into it?

That's how I found it to be.

However your perception maybe different so try it.

The power delivery, as said, from the 5.5TT is close to the 55K although the E63 I drove was considerably slower than my 55K.

Saying that, the way my lowly 4.7TT delivers power and keeps going intertwined with a super-smooth perfect change just at the right time, they've done an amazing job on these TT engines.

That's how I found it to be.
However your perception maybe different so try it.
The power delivery, as said, from the 5.5TT is close to the 55K although the E63 I drove was considerably slower than my 55K.
Saying that, the way my lowly 4.7TT delivers power and keeps going intertwined with a super-smooth perfect change just at the right time, they've done an amazing job on these TT engines.

Thanks John. I assume that it was a standard n/a E63 you drove? These were known to be slower off the mark than the 55K; almost inevitable, really, with less torque and a peakier engine delivering the extra 40 hp, and the real power, higher up the rev range.

Nothing lowly about your 4.7TT; if it does the job, what's not to like?

Also in the advert text it mentions the Luxury Package, but I can't see Option Code P34 on the datacard either? Easiest way to check is it will have an Alcantara headliner (Option Code 61U - not on the datacard either) if it has the Luxury Package.

It has Option 51U - Black Fabric Roof Interior Trim - so not Alcantara. I'm not fussed about the material, but I'd prefer it not to be black. I see it also has U09 Leather-clad Instrument Panel + Beltline (Art. Embossed); was that standard?

Does this car have a dual-clutch transmission with Launch Control rather than a conventional torque converter automatic, by the way? I think it does, but I've read conflicting information.

I'm waiting for the seller to call me back so I can get more details, then we'll see. I'll put it to him that it doesn't have the Distronic or the Luxury Package. I'm still very tempted...

Last edited:
The black fabric roof lining is standard. You could only get an Alpaca Grey roof lining as an option if you specified Alpaca Grey seats, and I don't remember seeing a pre-facelift car with anything other than black upholstery :(

Option Code U09 is also standard, but it's actually Artico, not leather.

We still haven't put you off then?

Save yourself a load of dosh, buy my s class and have lots of money left over for ABC repairs :)!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom