S212 Bi Xenon Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Not knowing much about the workings of bi xenon's, what's the fix for this dip beam failure?

Main beam is ok.

Cost, easy to change, use gen MB?

Will there be a beam colour mismatch meaning I should change both sides?

Note the v shaped "dusting" on the 2nd photo, which is on the inside. Strangely, the other side, with the functional headlight is the same - any thoughts?

John, have you tried another bulb? Or swapping the bulbs around?

Last edited:
John, If that had been incandescent bulbs I would have said a poor earth and it might still be.
Try swapping the bulbs/igniters over first.
As always be aware of the high voltages!!

My bad, its both dip and main.

One bulb with a moveable mask is used for both dip and main. They are not bi Xenons.

Just buy a bulb (ideally two) and we'll throw them in on Saturday morning. :)

A quick update.

New bulb bought.

£134.00.

Only £128 more than the one I bought for the wife's Focus last week :eek::crazy::devil:.

You gotta love these premium products...

:eek:

Is it a D2R Xenon HID capsule?

It's an Osram Gas Discharge Lamp, from MB Central, so a genuine part.

Much cheaper (ho ho) than a burner, so I'm told.

I'm certain you can buy OE Xenon bulbs for much less than this - as MB don't make the bulbs anyway :eek:

I'm certain you can buy OE Xenon bulbs for much less than this - as MB don't make the bulbs anyway :eek:

As an Osram, I'm sure you're correct, however, I needed one, they had one, so it's job done.

Sorry to go slightly off topic and for my dumbness.... But, what is the "V Shape Dusting" caused by and for? I have noticed this on cars before...

Is it from the use of the headlamp wash?

The mechanics at MB Central didn't know what it was -they seemed to think that it was brought about by the beam pattern on the glass, over time.

Both sides are the same.

The mechanics at MB Central didn't know what it was -they seemed to think that it was brought about by the beam pattern on the glass, over time.

Both sides are the same.

Strange that they didn't know what it was.... Yeah both sides are the same on my mums CLS and they were on her old W211 too. It does look quite nice though, I must admit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom