S212 E350 CDI - versions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I right to assume that the Euro6 only came out in the facelift?

Forgive my ignorance, but other than newness and presumably marginally improved efficiency over the previous generation what’s the benefit of Euro6 vs Euro5/4/n?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I right to assume that the Euro6 only came out in the facelift?

Mine was certainly a facelift. The giveaway of a Euro 6 is the 246 bhp, though the usual suspects will remap it to identical torque and slightly lower BHP figures (claimed) compared to the 265 bhp version.

Forgive my ignorance, but other than newness and presumably marginally improved efficiency over the previous generation what’s the benefit of Euro6 vs Euro5/4/n?

The Euro 6 is clean enough not to attract the additional ULEZ charge in London (from April next year), and no doubt many other cities in due course.

My comments relate to the c207 E-coupé, so changeover points might be slightly different to the saloons. When I bought mine in 2012 I'm fairly sure that the 265 engine came in at the same time as stop/start, straight DRLs, 7g+ gearbox, coloured dash display etc etc. IIRC, those changes were introduced late 2011 on the coupés as there were 61 plate cars in the dealership with that spec. I didn't see any older regd cars with the same spec.

However, it would seem that saloons might have had the changes introduced at different times.

I think all Euro6 350 diesels require AdBlue; whether the issues that go with that outweigh the lower emissions is an individual decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the way up to the Euro V's there was a vast disparity between the NOx and particulates put out by petrols and diesels. Euro VI finally addressed this issue.

Now that we've woken up to the problems caused by diesels in urban areas anything diesel that Euro 5 or earlier will become increasingly targeted.

The ULEZ coming into London will do this and will no doubt be replicated in loads of other towns a cities. Plus a load of London boroughs have already introduced parking and permit surcharges for diesels. The writing is on the wall.

I found all this out when I was looking for 212 18 months ago. I was about to test drive a pre-facelift 350 CDI but then ran for the hills (I live inside the ULEZ) when I realised a Euro VI was over my budget. Even had I been able to afford one I'd probably still have decided not to due to uncertainty in terms of future resale values in this part of the world.

Plus it was a cracking excuse to get a 5.5 V8.

Plus it was a cracking excuse to get a 5.5 V8.

Now this is the kind of logic I can get on board with!

The value of non Euro VI diesels will presumably be knocked when the charges start coming in. This is good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now this is the kind of logic I can get on board with!

The value of non Euro VI diesels will presumably be knocked when the charges start coming in. This is good to know.

I guess. Or at least there will presumably be reduced demand from people who have to frequently drive them in city centres.

EDIT; when I bought my car from Maundrells in March 2016 they were considering stopping taking diesels in at all, such was the uncertainly at the time. I've just had a look at their stock list and of the 59 cars listed there are only 7 diesels o/w 5 are 2013 or later. There's a 2011 and a 2012 in there but I would be at all surprised of they are all Euro 6's.

Last edited:
Great information, thanks for your comments and the insights are really helpful.

All things being equal I’d rather not buy a diesel powered car, but if you’re in the market for a used large estate with a decent badge and reasonable performance, just try finding one that isn’t a diesel, particularly E Classes in S212 guise.

The petrol options are either asthmatic 2 litre creations which don’t appeal at all, or 6.3 litre AMG beasts, which certainly appeal but aren’t wholly compatible with 20,000 miles a year and a harmonious marriage based on their being money left over each month to buy food and clothe the children.

I drive a Lexus GS 3.5 V6 petrol hybrid which is broadly a very good car, but the closest thing Lexus do to an estate is a RX450H, which is also broadly very good, but realistically will do around 33mpg (bit of a bummer at 20,000 per annum) and even worse has a boot which is 200 litres smaller than an E Class estate, plus no 7 seat option.

e60dd6cfd5df5c37733f88be98735890.jpg

Granted I’m well into first world problems here, but I like sharing my woes with the forum community. [emoji106]

Great information, thanks for your comments and the insights are really helpful.

All things being equal I’d rather not buy a diesel powered car, but if you’re in the market for a used large estate with a decent badge and reasonable performance, just try finding one that isn’t a diesel, particularly E Classes in S212 guise.

The petrol options are either asthmatic 2 litre creations which don’t appeal at all, or 6.3 litre AMG beasts, which certainly appeal but aren’t wholly compatible with 20,000 miles a year and a harmonious marriage based on their being money left over each month to buy food and clothe the children.

I drive a Lexus GS 3.5 V6 petrol hybrid which is broadly a very good car, but the closest thing Lexus do to an estate is a RX450H, which is also broadly very good, but realistically will do around 33mpg (bit of a bummer at 20,000 per annum) and even worse has a boot which is 200 litres smaller than an E Class estate, plus no 7 seat option.

e60dd6cfd5df5c37733f88be98735890.jpg

Granted I’m well into first world problems here, but I like sharing my woes with the forum community. [emoji106]

Skoda Superb 280? Massive interiors, decent poke. No 7 seat option though.

Skoda Superb 280? Massive interiors, decent poke. No 7 seat option though.

Don’t get all rational on me now! Go back to voicing the gleeful devil on my shoulder as this pops up!

4ec38018521b06196bbbfb94cef9c8cf.jpg

There seems to be a huge difference in power outputs with the E350 series.

Mine is a 2016 E350 Bluetec with 9 speed auto EU6 car and my paperwork shows the output to be 258BHP.

When I purchased mine I really thought I was doing the best thing buying a diesel with the requirements I had, a large car for my trips to France hence my requirements for an EU6 car.

I do not regret my decision as the car is a treat to drive being quiet with more than enough go and excellent MPG.

Who knows what the next few years will bring it could all change again yet.

Robin

Mine is a 2016 E350 Bluetec with 9 speed auto EU6 car and my paperwork shows the output to be 258BHP.

When I purchased mine I really thought I was doing the best thing buying a diesel with the requirements I had, a large car for my trips to France hence my requirements for an EU6 car.

I do not regret my decision as the car is a treat to drive being quiet with more than enough go and excellent MPG.

Who knows what the next few years will bring it could all change again yet.

Robin

This is the same reason I was considering a diesel. 90% of the Merc's mileage is long distance stuff and 100% of my wife's Clio's mileage is short urban hops.

My budget at the time didn't go past a Euro5, though, which was deffo not a good idea for me.

EDIT; thinking about it the drivetrain aimed at my use would probably be one of the hybrids. But the only one at the time was the 4 cyl diesel hybrid (which I've never really understood, tbh). If I was go get into one of them I'd prefer it to be a petrol which I think the more recent ones are.

Last edited:
Don’t get all rational on me now! Go back to voicing the gleeful devil on my shoulder as this pops up!

4ec38018521b06196bbbfb94cef9c8cf.jpg

That's a cheap car. Think of all the petrol and tyres you could buy with the money you've saved compared to buying a £20k hybrid. It's a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom