S212 E350cdi lowering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B3MX5

Car
S212 E350cdi 265
Hi all,

I'm one week into owning the car and it's great. Only thing I'm finding it after my B3 is that it rolls and wallows quite a bit, however I do also like the softer ride.... I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for a a sharper ride. It's a bigger heavier car so it's never going to feel like the B3, but there's room for improvement. I'm having difficulty identifying what suspension I've actually got, which makes me feel really pathetic! I'm fairly sure it's all steel springs with no air, and in the online VIN decoder the option: 677 - AVANTGARDE/STANDARD SUSPENSION is listed. It's fitted with the standard AMG 18" wheels.

Has anyone fitted either a lowering kit of springs, springs and shocks etc to a steel-sprung S212? If so, what are the options or recommendations? Or have I got it totally wrong....

Thanks in advance

I guess this may be subjective and dependant on what you are used to.

My previous car was an E300 Hybrid SE which had softer set up than my current E350 AMG Night Edition.

There is no way I would class the car as wallows and rolls in corners.

Could be worth if possible comparing to another car of similar type or having it checked out.

Mine is and estate car not sure what if any relevance as they have self levelling suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think it depends what you came from. My last car was a Porsche and the E350 Estate with factory fitted uprated sports suspension felt like a wallowing barge. To be honest loathed the ride for about a month as I wafted and rolled around. Three months later I have become used to it and find I can drive it quite hard on b roads with confidence.
My advice would be to give it time, you certainly can't compare the ride to Audi or BMW which in my opinion is too harsh for everyday commute and motorway miles.

Sent from my GT-810 using Tapatalk

I fitted H&R springs on my AMG c36 as I found the AMG springs a bit too hard for crap roads.

This was such a good mod I have fitted them onto my daily grind.. BMW 330D touring, replacing the M Sport springs, as I found them a bit too harsh.

Anyone wants nicer ride. H&R springs no question.

The performance of the spring is as good as the AMG sports spring from a handling perspective, but the ride over potholes and 'chattery' surfaces, much better with H&R. They are progressive rate springs and are a good quality. When I picked them up from the supplier the box was open, the guy said the wanted to show a potential customer what a decent spring looked like as they were enquiring about ricer spring kits for their civic.

When the springs are fitted, replace the bushes with standard items if they have a few miles on them. Although fitting polyurethene bushes will be 'taughter', they will be very harsh.

My 2p

Last edited:
Thanks guys, all comments appreciated.

I agree it's very subjective, and (personally speaking) coming from an Alpina estate is going to be a very tough comparison - for me it was the perfect balance between smooth and a firm enough ride, it made for a very relaxing place to make rapid progress. Certainly a lot smoother than the equivalent M car, everyone always compared them more closely with AMG funnily enough than M.

Anyway, other than this I really enjoy the car, and I get it won't be the same, but there's clearly room for improvement for my liking, and the H&R springs sound ideal, I've only got experience of Eibach Pro-Springs so that helps.

Only other thing is Brabus D6 or GAD/Celtic mod, but that's another forum/thread....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom