S212 E350CDI Sport Wheels...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonsMerc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Merc S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, Suzuki GSX-650F, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Dynamic
I've been reading the sticky and researching and I can't seem to get a good answer to my question. Will either of the following sets of wheels and winter tyres be a good fit for my MY2011 S212 E350 CDI Sport?

Winter tyres with wheels for Mercedes E class or similar | eBay

4X MERCEDES E CLASS ORIGINAL 16" WINTER TYRES & ALLOYS CONTINENTAL 225/55 16 91H | eBay

We're planning a Skiing trip down to the French Alps and really need winter tyres for the mountain (we'll have chains as well). However Winter tyres themselves are extremely expensive in the staggered sizes we have on the car (265/35/18 rear 245/40/18 front), and also I kind of like the idea of having a spare set of wheels that I can swap over to for the Winter.

If I stick to sizes like those in the links above (which are sizes that the car could have been bought with anyway) will they be OK? Would these smaller sized wheels have any downsides for winter use?

Many thanks,

-simon

For three winters I ran a set of 8.0 J x 16 H2 ET 46 wheels with 225/55 R16 tyres on my E350CDI Avantgarde Saloon and they were fine. However...

The manual is unhelpful in this respect but I'm almost certain that the 16's won't fit over the front callipers on the E350CDI in Sport guise. On my Avantgarde the 16's only cleared the front callipers by 5mm or so, so there isn't much room to spare. Also, the load rating on the tyres you linked to is insufficient. 95 is OK for the saloon, but not the estate which requires a load rating of 99 in the smaller sizes.

Your best bet is to look for a set of 17" wheels, either 8.0 J x 17 H2 ET 48, or 8.5 J x 17 H2 ET 48 (the latter being the standard fitment on the Avantgarde spec car), with 245/45 R17 99 H XL tyres.

To finish up this thread, I ended up buying some tyres off ebay -- brand new but much cheaper than blackcircles etc. They were Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme Winter Snow Tyres, price delivered was:

2x245/40/18 97W XL - £276
2x265/35/18 97W XL - £290

The fronts are still available here if anyone is interested:

2x 245 40 18 VREDESTEIN WINTRAC XTREME WINTER SNOW TYRES 97W XL 245/40R18 | eBay

-simon

Oh, and the reason I stuck with winter tyres on the existing wheels was actually the other half, who said "didn't you convince me to agree to buy a more expensive car because it has bigger nicer wheels? And now you want me to drive half the year on smaller uglier wheels??!?!" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom