S212 E500 Avantgarde on Autotrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One other thing; it's a Euro V petrol so I'll be able to continue using it London in a couple of years when the ULEZ kicks in. (thasks to Biglips helping me figure that out through the VIN decoder he uses)

Congrats and enjoy it! It was you that I thought of when I saw the ad - having read your previous posts about ULEZ and diesel cars. And that's certainly a rare car: I've only seen 4 on Autotrader and have watched for a few years now. And now you and I own 50% of those 4.

The media interface allows you to plug in various devices using a set of cables. These are the ones: https://www.commandonline.co.uk/Media-Interface-Cable-Set-A-B-C-CLS-E-GLK-SL-SLK.html (sometimes available on eBay for less.)

Congrats and enjoy it! It was you that I thought of when I saw the ad - having read your previous posts about ULEZ and diesel cars. And that's certainly a rare car: I've only seen 4 on Autotrader and have watched for a few years now. And now you and I own 50% of those 4.

The media interface allows you to plug in various devices using a set of cables. These are the ones: https://www.commandonline.co.uk/Media-Interface-Cable-Set-A-B-C-CLS-E-GLK-SL-SLK.html (sometimes available on eBay for less.)

Thanks SW18. And Biglips. You both steered me in the right direction. Can't wait to pick it up (it's being prepped).

Well done,sir....

It's gone already.

Just as well I bought it then.

LOL

Well done, sir, I knew it wouldn't stay around long - such a nice colour / spec / mileage combo.

Smart move - that'll give you a lot of pleasure. Does this mean that the "Gardening" is over?

Once again, the forum proves its worth.

Last edited:
At least on the E500 there is a much reduced chance of the DPF blocking from not doing enough miles to allow a regen. :D

Yes that was half my point on maintenance costs on a petrol vs diesel. The latter I understand has issues with injectors too at higher mileage.

Great spec and colour combo, well done!
My E Class from 10 years ago was the same colour trim combo, as was my more recent ML. Mmmm...nice!:D

Actually, thinking about it, it's better than that. Before I bought my first C43 I didn't even know they existed. Someone told me, I saw there was one in Chiswick and bingo I had one.

Before you posted on the ULEZ thread I had no idea they actually existed. And it's bingo II.

Well done, sir, I knew it wouldn't stay around long - such a nice colour / spec / mileage combo.

Smart move - that'll give you a lot of pleasure. Does this mean that the "Gardening" is over?

Once again, the forum proves its worth.

No, the "gardening" is stilll on and makes it possible to drop everything and check cars out. Although I missed a cheap 350 CGI in Leeds yesterday by not just going for it quickly enough.

Then I've still got another three weeks off including a driving holiday in France before I start my now job.

In a new car paid for by my previous employer.

LOL.

Great spec and colour combo, well done!
My E Class from 10 years ago was the same colour trim combo, as was my more recent ML. Mmmm...nice!:D

When I first saw it online I was not all convinced (I was fixated on something which was a Sport in grey with black leather and a pano).

But as soon as I saw it I loved it.

Dark blue & grey is a classic Merc combo - I remember it well from 124's back in the day.

The spec is just fantastic - looking forward to some long family trips in it.

Beat me to it. Well done. I hate you...

I don't really. It would have been a heart purchase rather than a head; I really do love Tanzanite blue, though not privacy glass and those small wheels. I still think it was overpriced considering what I paid for my '08 E350 CGI, though.

The three-month warranty seems a bit mean. What does it cover? It's most unlikely you will need it with that mileage on the car, but unless it's a good warranty you'll be better off relying on your normal consumer rights.

I don't suppose you do, but if by chance you want to swap it for my E350 plus a tidy sum, let me know; I just know I'd have bought it anyway if I'd gone to see it, overpriced or not...

What will you do with your '05 E500?

Last edited:
I hadn't realised they were quite that rare. A friend here in Swindon has one.

It depends on the vintage of the COMAND head unit as to whether or not it supports audio streaming. It was introduced part way through the lifecycle of the pre-facelift W/S212 but I don't remember when :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the vintage of the COMAND head unit as to whether or not it supports audio streaming. It was introduced part way through the lifecycle of the pre-facelift W/S212 but I don't remember when :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes I saw some stuff online reviewing the new improved UMI/COMAND functionality at some point in 2010.

The car was first registered in 2010 but I can't remember the month so it could fall either side of the cutoff.

Oh well I'll just have to wait and see.

They tell me they'll get the car in the workshop today and see if it needs any service items or not. Hopefully it won't need anything hard to source (don't see why it would). Then it gets a full valet. Then I get to pick it up.

I suppose the earliest possible day would be Tuesday or Wednesday.

The next 4/5 days are going to go incredibly slowly.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

I hadn't realised they were quite that rare. A friend here in Swindon has one.

Wow. If he/she has a E500 estate in the newer S212 shape then that would be the 5th one on my list!

Knowing how hard it was to find mine, I started keeping a list of all the ones I saw for sale, and I am now up to 4 S212 E500 estate, plus 7 W212 saloons. In 2 years of watching.

It's possible to see from howmanyleft.co.uk that about 150 E-class were sold in 2009-2011 with the 5.5 litre engine, but it does not differentiate between body type unfortunately. And from experience I know most of those were coupes / cabrios.

Before you posted on the ULEZ thread I had no idea they actually existed. And it's bingo II.

A pleasure, happy to help! Nice to know that a good car is going to an enthusiastic owner.

Beat me to it. Well done. I hate you...

I don't really. It would have been a heart purchase rather than a head; I really do love Tanzanite blue, though not privacy glass and those small wheels. I still think it was overpriced considering what I paid for my '08 E350 CGI, though.

Sounds like you got your CGI for an amazing price. The cheapest (Sport) I saw was £11k - OK spec but no COMAND. That was in Leeds and went the same day. There's a low mileage AG in Cambs which I went to see - it was up at ££15k, now down to £14.5k. 43k miles, decent spec but not enough to tempt me.

BTW I'm sure that car was originally stickered at £14k and think the price rise was my fault - I was talking to the dealer and fellah who worked in Chiswick about the ULEZ and a few days later the price magically increased by £1k....

As far as the privacy glass goes it's marmite but I like it - and, more importantly, my kids love the idea. If I'd bought one without it I'd have paid for film.

The wheels look a bit small in the pics but OK in real life. I've been checking out A/G's in 17's for weeks and I think that that they are *just* large enough visually.

Don't get me wrong I love the look of Sports with the staggered 18's but I can live with the 17's especially want they give the car such a pillowy ride. The car soaked up the broken B roads round the dealers like there was nothing there. Even the dealer commented from the passenger seat.

Also, the Sport loaner I had a couple of years ago created a far amount of din from the back = this one didn't.

And in any case if I get bored I can always swap them out.
The three-month warranty seems a bit mean. What does it cover? It's most unlikely you will need it with that mileage on the car, but unless it's a good warranty you'll be better off relying on your normal consumer rights.

I've never claimed off a warranty and so am not that bothered esp as this one seems so fresh. Boom went the gearbox.....

I don't suppose you do, but if by chance you want to swap it for my E350 plus a tidy sum, let me know; I just know I'd have bought it anyway if I'd gone to see it, overpriced or not...

Nice offer but I suspect this one's a keeper. As Biglips says it's the natural successor to my previous 211 E500 which is by far the best all-rounder I've ever had. I've owned it for seven years which is a record for me and a testament to just how good these cars are.

Other than my family of course I only have two passions in life - cars and QPR. With the ups and downs of QPR it's even more important to have a great car.

I never did get to buy that Porsche (too many houses, too many extensions, too late now). Having a Merc with 388bhp is the closest I'll ever get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom