S212 E500 Avantgarde on Autotrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice offer but I suspect this one's a keeper. As Biglips says it's the natural successor to my previous 211 E500 which is by far the best all-rounder I've ever had. I've owned it for seven years which is a record for me and a testament to just how good these cars are.

Other than my family of course I only have two passions in life - cars and QPR. With the ups and downs of QPR it's even more important to have a great car.

I never did get to buy that Porsche (too many houses, too many extensions, too late now). Having a Merc with 388bhp is the closest I'll ever get.

Congratulations, and to Biglips too, by the looks? I'm excited for both of you.

I've had my 04 E500 estate a bit over five years now, and agree they are great all rounders (keepers, if you have a good one). I've been looking for the facelift 5.5l S211 for a few years now, as I haven't got into the 212, tbh, but having spent a few bob on suspension etc last year, I'll hang on to it a little longer.

I'm looking at yours through a fresh pair of eyes, and it's grown on me! I've recently bought an 08 SL500, with the 5.5l engine, and the gearing is so different to my 211, but I suspect an S212 E500 will be my next purchase (I'm in no rush!).

I hope you enjoy your new toy as much as your 211, and good luck with QPR!

Never say never....

I never did get to buy that Porsche (too many houses said:
Worth remembering that most new 911 owners are 50 - 65.

If your hips are still good, there are plenty of 70+ types driving them.

The classic retirement spend is a cruise and an additional sports car.

Wow. If he/she has a E500 estate in the newer S212 shape then that would be the 5th one on my list!

Knowing how hard it was to find mine, I started keeping a list of all the ones I saw for sale, and I am now up to 4 S212 E500 estate, plus 7 W212 saloons. In 2 years of watching.

It's possible to see from howmanyleft.co.uk that about 150 E-class were sold in 2009-2011 with the 5.5 litre engine, but it does not differentiate between body type unfortunately. And from experience I know most of those were coupes / cabrios.

This one
My PistonHeads : Show Car - PistonHeads

Pano roof 212 500. The ultimate :)

....but does it have Night Vision?

(my kids are suitably amazed by that particular feature)

No idea, I could ask.
We took up the entire dual carriageway one evening when his other half pulled up along side me. It was a bit slow but then it is 100bhp down...

No idea, I could ask.
We took up the entire dual carriageway one evening when his other half pulled up along side me. It was a bit slow but then it is 100bhp down...

Jut had a quick look over on Pistonheads and discovered that I've come across Mr E in a thread about that very car last year.

So technically he was the first person to tell me about 212 E500's. But as I have a brain like a sieve and promptly forgot all about the conversation you still get the credit.

On genuine note I think my brain probably filed the 212 away in the "this is never going to happen, fellah" section as the chances of my ever finding one were vanishingly small.

(EDIT - well it was actually Dec 2014 so I don't feel quite so pre-senile now)

Last edited:
Accelerator's on the Right, Brake's on the Left.....

Jut had a quick look over on Pistonheads and discovered that I've come across Mr E in a thread about that very car last year.
(EDIT - well it was actually Dec 2014 so I don't feel quite so pre-senile now)

You'll be fine.

Accelerator's on the Right, Dad. Brake's on the Left......

All right, Grand-Dad? Comes to all of us in the end...

You'll be fine.

Accelerator's on the Right, Dad. Brake's on the Left......

All right, Grand-Dad? Comes to all of us in the end...

At least it's not an Audi. I once had one and was parking outside my house when it just took off. It went straight through the garage door, through the wall at the back, through through fence and into the neighbour's garden. Luckily I still had my seatbelt on otherwise someone might have got seriously hurt.

Awful car.

What was i saying again?

The advantages of an AMG

What was i saying again?

That's why 80 year olds prefer AMG.

With an AMG you get where you're going before you forget why you wanted to go there.

"Hold tight, Doris !"

But what software/format of music does it support?

eg would I need to have music in iTunes

It reads MP3 and maybe other standard file types, straight from whatever device is plugged into the Media Interface. It preserves the folder structure so they can be scrolled through from Comand using the rotary dial.

Found this; seems I can just fire up the Android and stream podcasts and Spotify playlists from there.

http://www.mercupgrades.com/manuals/navigation/UMI-manual.pdf

Yes, you can: I just checked this on mine and you can stream over Bluetooth. I've never tried that before so that's a learning for me - thanks!

Wrong thread hahahhahahah

It reads MP3 and maybe other standard file types, straight from whatever device is plugged into the Media Interface. It preserves the folder structure so they can be scrolled through from Comand using the rotary dial.

Yes, you can: I just checked this on mine and you can stream over Bluetooth. I've never tried that before so that's a learning for me - thanks!

When was yours first registered? The Bluetooth connectivity apparently came in at some point in 2010.

Mine was delivered and registered in October 2010

I've got a feeling that mine might be just too early - it's a late May car. I'll find out on Thursday/Friday. They're sticking on new pads FOC and new discs all round at cost. And putting a years ticket on it. But the pads are not available till mid week. Still, when I get it it will be as near perfect as possible. Re the UMI I think I'll be able to stick an old iPhone in the glove box. No idea what to do for tunes though as I'm a Spotify streamer and don't own any MP3' s. Supoose I can always buy a few albums off iTunes . What do yiu do?

Re the UMI I think I'll be able to stick an old iPhone in the glove box. No idea what to do for tunes though as I'm a Spotify streamer and don't own any MP3' s. Supoose I can always buy a few albums off iTunes . What do yiu do?

I do happen to have lots of MP3 files having ripped a load of CDs some years ago. So I either plug into the Media Interface in the glove box or play tunes from an SD card - there's a card slot in the radio, though you have to have an adaptor to get an SD card to fit. Like this: PCMCIA TO SD PC CARD ADAPTER Supoort SDHC for Mercedes-Benz S/G/C/E class | eBay

I do happen to have lots of MP3 files having ripped a load of CDs some years ago. So I either plug into the Media Interface in the glove box or play tunes from an SD card - there's a card slot in the radio, though you have to have an adaptor to get an SD card to fit. Like this: PCMCIA TO SD PC CARD ADAPTER Supoort SDHC for Mercedes-Benz S/G/C/E class | eBay

Thanks - but from what device do you use to play your MP3's?

And if you use the SD car + adaptor how do you get yout music onto the card? From a PC?

(I think I need another 30-40k to get a new car where the aps just appear on your infotainment screen).

Apps on screen

I prefer to keep everything original, but it's only a few hundred

merc-e-class-w211-carplay.jpg

Last edited:
Now I am the same about retaining originality but I think that digital tech is different and that looks like a subtle installation. Tell me more about functionality and cost please. How does it affect the COMAND features?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom