S212 E500 Avantgarde on Autotrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So how much is that extra 16% a year to you?

Couple of hundred quid? Fifteen quid a month?

That's what I've always reckoned the cost of a V8 to be.....

(Pretty insignificant to the depreciation cost of running a 5 year old car)

Good point. If you do low miles like me and then just calculate the marginal fuel cost there's not nearly as much in it as most folk seem to think.

Thule bars now on. Neat looking things but WAY narrower than my MB ones. Only just got the 4 x Thule bike carriers to fit. And could only get the the bikes on by taking all the pedals off first.......

Fiddly but it works.

Looking forward to pointing my new motor towards France.

Thule bars now on. Neat looking things but WAY narrower than my MB ones. Only just got the 4 x Thule bike carriers to fit. And could only get the the bikes on by taking all the pedals off first.......

Fiddly but it works.

Looking forward to pointing my new motor towards France.

I have the reverse problem. My new roof bars are mahoosive. Lots of room for carrying surfboards etc but they don't look great when it is unladen. Makes the car look like a builders transport. I will not be leaving them on between trips as it really detracts from the lines of the car.

Hope you have a good run to France

I have the reverse problem. My new roof bars are mahoosive. Lots of room for carrying surfboards etc but they don't look great when it is unladen. Makes the car look like a builders transport. I will not be leaving them on between trips as it really detracts from the lines of the car.

LOL. TBH I had no idea about how much they could vary -I just ordered a new a set in a bit of a rush and was fairly horrified for a while until I figured out a workaround.

I always take mine off between trips anyway. Once you know what you're doing it's relatively easy.

Hope you have a good run to France

Thanks - will do - enjoy the surf.

Always good to remove racks when not needed.

You'll find the racks are irritatingly noisy add 10% to your fuel economy, and highlight that you're a tourist who might have "good stuff" in the car.

So it makes sense to take them off the car when you're not using them.

And remember the racks are there when you do have them on...

A friend of mine sailed under a 6'6" car park entrance barrier with their rack on, fully loaded with the family's bikes. That was messy: damage to the bikes, the roof bars, the roof...

Not for the faint-hearted....

mikeinwimbledon-albums-miscellaneous-picture10649-img-3574.jpg
You just need to think big. (My previous 335i runaround.)

Last edited:
A friend of mine sailed under a 6'6" car park entrance barrier with their rack on, fully loaded with the family's bikes. That was messy: damage to the bikes, the roof bars, the roof...

The trouble with V8 airmatic Mercs is you don't really notice the load.......

Now have MP3's both on a memory stick in the glovebox and on the media carn in the dash.

Getting there.....

Arrived in Normandy an hour ago after a pretty effortless blast. Stuck in on distronic for a lot of the journey. After a near miss outside Rouen I can confirm the Brake Assyst is fully functioning.

When unloading also noticed a ding to the rear bumper. Some mouth breather has hit it right in the centrec hard enough to bend the backing plate. Its only a minor ding but im going to see it. FFS the Londonification has started after a week!

Still, we're in the middle of nowhere, the kids are running wild, the log burner is on and I'm going to check out the ILS and night vision later :)

Only had the time to try it on the longish curved drive. Cornering lights tremendous. Night vision cool although didn't spot any wildlife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom