S212 E500 Five Years In

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Excellent. How did you download? CD onto a chip or Download onto IPhone and then Bluetooth to MMI? (Silly detail but …)

How busy was the port and motorway network? Prime 🐸 🐸 holiday time: I’ve never dared.

Music and podcasting transforms long distance continental journeys. (And Waze reduces the divorce risk)

Like the choice of music. You’re obviously older than we thought….

Highest res Spotify dowloaded to my phone.

Traffic was fine unlike the carnage at the tunnel this time last year. due to French passport staff pretending they'd forgotten to come to work. Or something.

Used Google Maps with Waze as an occasional 2nd opinion.

I'm 59. I do listen to lots of modern stuff too but my mrs isn't so keen so classics it is.

Highest res Spotify dowloaded to my phone.
Traffic was fine unlike the carnage at the tunnel this time last year. due to French passport staff pretending they'd forgotten to come to work. Or something.
Used Google Maps with Waze as an occasional 2nd opinion.
I'm 59. I do listen to lots of modern stuff too but my mrs isn't so keen so classics it is.

So no problems at Dover Port on via LeMans, impressive for the last Friday in July ?
I couldn't resist the tease over the music choice. All downloaded on my phone too, apart from Coldplay...
We can talk Nina Simone, Al Stewart and Cat Stevens another time.

I'd be happier in La Baule than Ile de Ré, but that's town and country for you. More shops, golf and places to avoid that Brittany rain.
(Oops, just checked that Atlantic coast weather, sorry about that)

Last edited:
So no problems at Dover Port on via LeMans, impressive for the last Friday in July ?
I couldn't resist the tease over the music choice. All downloaded on my phone too, apart from Coldplay...

I'd be happier in La Baule than Ile de Ré, but that's town and country for you. More shops, golf and places to avoid that Brittany rain.
Brought a Roku stick and some Bose speakers to liven up the TV room....

.....having looked at the forecasts.....

Friday was ridiculously good all the way to the Normandy stop. Saturday was a bit busier south of Le Mans but I've seen it waaaay worse. Lucky really.

Brought a Roku stick and some Bose speakers to liven up the TV room....

.....having looked at the forecasts.....
You're well out of it. London's pure Annie Lennox this afternoon and all this week.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But no reason to cry into my latte.

Last edited:
Friday was ridiculously good all the way to the Normandy stop. Saturday was a bit busier south of Le Mans but I've seen it waaaay worse. Lucky really.
A far better route than Autoroute du Soleil with all those Northern Europeans heading South.

I used to barrel down there all the time. Then started to explore the SW then the west coast. France is amazing, so much to discover.
17 years on, my son still reckons that our fortnight in rural Cahors, in the back of beyond, was the best French trip we ever did.

Mind you we did have a great pool, and he spent every morning gaming in the local Internet cafe. At 12 what more can you want?

17 years on, my son still reckons that our fortnight in rural Cahors, in the back of beyond, was the best French trip we ever did.

Mind you we did have a great pool, and he spent every morning gaming in the local Internet cafe. At 12 what more can you want?
My wife spotted a 2 bed house for sale near where we stopped in Normandy for 96k euros. She said it would go well with the XK8 I keep talking about. Fits well with the retire/downsize in a few years plan we've been mulling over. Quite fancy a bit of France action within easy reach.

My wife spotted a 2 bed house for sale near where we stopped in Normandy for 96k euros. She said it would go well with the XK8 I keep talking about. Fits well with the retire/downsize in a few years plan we've been mulling over. Quite fancy a bit of France action within easy reach.
Where did she do her negotiation course? It was obviously a good one.

Tempting but the tax is complex, as are the fees in and out but an interesting exercise.

Where did she do her negotiation course? It was obviously a good one.

Tempting but the tax is complex, as are the fees in and out but an interesting exercise.
Yeah, silky skills. For a while I thought she was actually doing me a favour :cool:

Must admit I like the idea of hopping between, say, a London appartment and a French retreat.

We both speak French and have both spend periods living/working here in the past.

I find the idea much more interesting than the UK alternative.

Yesterday the others went on a long cycle ride and I looped back part way through as I had a small amount of work to sort. I'd arranged to meet them in the car on another part of the island later and that also gave me the opportunity to sort the loose boot trim that had started buzzing again the previous day when the sub was cranked up. It was driving me nuts.

I'd brought a roll of door insulation strip to apply to the offending area and I figured out that it was where the side cover was just touching one of the corners of the sub; I stuck the strip along the top of the sub, refitted the side trim and bingo, the buzz was gone. I then spent much of yesterday afternoon driving around the Isle de Re like Ali G in his R5 Turbo playing the most bass-heavy tracks I could find at maximum volume.

Booyaka.

Yesterday the others went on a long cycle ride and I looped back part way through as I had a small amount of work to sort. I'd arranged to meet them in the car on another part of the island later and that also gave me the opportunity to sort the loose boot trim that had started buzzing again the previous day when the sub was cranked up. It was driving me nuts.

I'd brought a roll of door insulation strip to apply to the offending area and I figured out that it was where the side cover was just touching one of the corners of the sub; I stuck the strip along the top of the sub, refitted the side trim and bingo, the buzz was gone. I then spent much of yesterday afternoon driving around the Isle de Re like Ali G in his R5 Turbo playing the most bass-heavy tracks I could find at maximum volume.

Booyaka.
I love the satisfaction you get when these small annoyances are sorted! I’m still relishing the satisfaction of sorting the rattling I had in mine which turned out to be inside the rear seat back.

Respect !

I love the satisfaction you get when these small annoyances are sorted! I’m still relishing the satisfaction of sorting the rattling I had in mine which turned out to be inside the rear seat back.

Yeah, massively satisfying. Of course it didn't do it when I was at Comand Online, only after a few days. I eventually worked it out after a couple of false starts.

It absolutely ruins the music. It's not just the buzzing noise; it's the fact that it's slightly out of phase that makes it so infuriating.

It's back to its best now. Those Morels are just so awesome. Especially when paired with that sub. Rob & Mark know what they're doing.

Seven years in now. And also 21 continuous years in a V8 Merc.

I was never expecting to keep the 212 so long but a combination of not being able to find an obvious replacement and being happy to keep pumping money into my SIPP has meant that it's here another year on.

Had a relatively expensive year last what with a big service, a partial suspension refresh, a starter motor, a minor oil leak on the front of the engine (plus a pulley or two while they were in there) and a new top hose. Plus part two of my audio upgrade.

Obviously, keeping on top of maintenance makes sense, especially as a lot of the big ticket items were one-offs or things that won't need doing again for 2/3 years.

The spend on the audio less so but last year's bill can be offset (in my head) against the lack of depreciation of the car itself and/or the cost of money which I can otherwise squirrel away for my retirement funds. I really have turned into my dad....

It's been brilliant in the last 12 months; 4 trips to Leeds, two to the Malvern hills, a couple to Dorset and a big one to France. Might do that again this year. Now that Cost Centre 1 has gone to uni, we've often found the extra space handy when passing an antiques shop in the UK or a brocante in France. This year's hall includes a large antique mirror, and oak chest, a side table, a footstool and a couple of stone flagons.

The car's holding up well. Still looks good inside and out. Still needs some minor paintwork; I'll get the wing done this year. Honest. And will probably fit some new rear tyres soon-ish.

Anyway, there you have it. By far the oldest car I've ever had as regular transport. But they clearly knew what they were doing when they made the 212.

Seven years in now. And also 21 continuous years in a V8 Merc.

I was never expecting to keep the 212 so long but a combination of not being able to find an obvious replacement and being happy to keep pumping money into my SIPP has meant that it's here another year on.

Had a relatively expensive year last what with a big service, a partial suspension refresh, a starter motor, a minor oil leak on the front of the engine (plus a pulley or two while they were in there) and a new top hose. Plus part two of my audio upgrade.

Obviously, keeping on top of maintenance makes sense, especially as a lot of the big ticket items were one-offs or things that won't need doing again for 2/3 years.

The spend on the audio less so but last year's bill can be offset (in my head) against the lack of depreciation of the car itself and/or the cost of money which I can otherwise squirrel away for my retirement funds. I really have turned into my dad....

It's been brilliant in the last 12 months; 4 trips to Leeds, two to the Malvern hills, a couple to Dorset and a big one to France. Might do that again this year. Now that Cost Centre 1 has gone to uni, we've often found the extra space handy when passing an antiques shop in the UK or a brocante in France. This year's hall includes a large antique mirror, and oak chest, a side table, a footstool and a couple of stone flagons.

The car's holding up well. Still looks good inside and out. Still needs some minor paintwork; I'll get the wing done this year. Honest. And will probably fit some new rear tyres soon-ish.

Anyway, there you have it. By far the oldest car I've ever had as regular transport. But they clearly knew what they were doing when they made the 212.
We’ve still got the 2011 350 cdi. Looks brilliant, drives brilliant and has been so reliable. Genuinely cannot see anything that would replace it. The 212 is a very good Benz indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom