S212 E500 - The Brown One

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shifter

Car
S212 E500
I thought I might pop a few pictures up as I know this car has been discussed on here previously. It's very much a Marmite car judging by posts on here - which I can understand, as brown isn't everyone's idea of a nice colour for a car.

It's a 2010 Cuprite Brown E500. It's the car known to some as the The Fisherman's Friend Car, or The Brown One. It was purchased from new by business woman Doreen Lofthouse, and was registered on the plate 1 FF.

It'll be on a V8 plate soon. Probably a bit naff, but I can't help myself.

I bought it on 62.5k miles with full MB history, although I've just had to put a battery on it. That was interesting in itself because all the sites list my battery as an 019 AGM but that size is too big and doesn't fit in the tray, as I found out when I tried to lower it in to place. Whoever fitted the previous battery clearly ignored the size constraints and fitted an 019 anyway, left it sat on top of the outer lip of the tray, and didn't bother fitting the clamp to hold it into place. I didn't realise this until I offered up the old one to the new and realised they were the same size. What I've had to fit is 115 AGM, which fits perfectly. A new clamp and bolt is on its way from MB.

The car isn't massively heavy on options. Seemingly the memory pack, automatic high beam switch, and cornering illumination are about it, I think everything else is standard 500 fare.

But importantly, it has that 5.5 litre V8. It's effortlessly waftable, particularly compared to the gruff 4 cylinder that my previous lease Volvo V60 had.

I've just had it detailed, as there were a number of light scratches and swirls that needed correcting. It now looks a hundred times better. I've had the E500 badge removed as it was slightly wonky; within the paperwork is an MB invoice which includes an E500 emblem, so someone has fitted one at some point. It may not have had one from new; Mr Detailer said there were no depressions in the paint where it would have been - apparently emblems often sink into new paint as it settles and hardens.

Plans are to have the gearbox serviced as it hasn't been done since 31k miles, then generally keep it nice and tidy and well maintained. I'll change the wheels, these ones are wrong for one thing, and I don't like them for another.

Oh, and try to sort the slight dash creak that it has.

I've just had 2021 Star/Xentry installed on my laptop so I'll have fun playing with that.

Anyway. Pictures.

S2pAA7T.jpg

54BFAoK.jpg

oqbZOlk.jpg

WR7ng57.jpg

ItZEpXa.jpg

iYulfce.jpg

iIYqd1e.jpg

I actually like that, whilst it is clean of course :)

Rear ride height or wheel size looks like it needs attention.....?
Marvelously unique car though!

What work did the detailers do?

Clay bar and machine polished the full car, and wet sanded where required and fully corrected.

Scuffs and swirls on full car removed with particular attention paid to:

Scuff to NSR bumper, with light scratches above it on the wing.

Light scratches on NSR wing near tail light.

Marks on top of bumper loading lip.

Light scratches on driver's door handle.

Waxed as a final step.

Rear ride height or wheel size looks like it needs attention.....?
Marvelously unique car though!

Thanks.

Not sure if it's picture angles and/or angle of the ground making it look uneven, in all of the photos apart from the ones outside the detailer's it is parked on wonky ground.

I will be checking and adjusting the ride height with Xentry if it needs tweaking.

The wheel/tyre specs I'm not sure are correct for the car but they won't be a permanent fixture anyway. They are a staggered set of wheels/tyres but I'm not sure if they're "correct" for the car. I don't even know what car these wheels are from originally.

Used to see this car a lot on the Fylde coast and always thought it looked smart. Glad it went to a good home.

Oh I like that! I think it looks beautiful

My dream S65AMG W221 would be in this brown with white leather... I doubt I'll ever find one though

Always nice to see something a bit different.
Brown not necessarily a natural first choice colour, (unless you happen to be UPS), but Mikey likey! :cool:

Very nice. I was abroad in 2019 so missed out on buying it. This year, my "requirements" have moved on to something physically smaller. Otherwise I would have definitely taken it - and had it detailed in the way that you have. I just love premium cars in "slightly different" premium colours. AM

Your car's previous owner replaced the 18 inch Avantgarde wheels with AMG wheels from the S221 or C216.

Here's what Doreen had on your E500 when it was sold via David Stockton in 2019. Personally, I prefer them but "each to their own."

Dlr.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom