S212 E63: 4matic or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anders

Car
‘14 BMW X5 M50D
I am considering swapping my 2013 Audi A6 3.0 BiTDI (313 bhp) for a 2014 S212 E63 AMG (non 4matic) - I have had my fair share of M models, but they are all rather torque light (most cars are!) compared to the E63, so wondering how it fares on traction without 4matic.

I like the all-weather capabilities of my A6 Quattro (I know, dirty word on this forum) and as I use it for long motorway trips in Europe, I will also be driving it in winter, of course with winter tyres.

How unruly is it? As an example, my previous 507 bhp E60 M5 was very linear and developed its horsepower high up on the rev range, which helped traction at lower speed, but with the AMG sledgehammer, I am afraid it would be a bit of handful.

Any insight from owners would be appreciated!

I had an A6 BiTDi and it was a very competent car, almost too competent, but lacked character compared to the E63.

In the UK we never got a 4matic option for the E63, and so they're all RWD here. In a RWD E63 you can't quite put your foot to the floor - anywhere and at any time - like you can in the Quattro, but traction isn't a big issue as long as you're rolling and in a straight line.

Go for it, you'll live it :thumb:

In a RWD E63 you can't quite put your foot to the floor - anywhere and at any time - like you can in the Quattro, but traction isn't a big issue as long as you're rolling and in a straight line.
That sums it up pretty well. One thing I would recommend if it doesn't have an AMG Locking Diff (Option Code 471) is to get a Quaife ATB Diff fitted as it makes a big difference to how effectively you can get the power down.

As you will have guessed already, appropriate tyres for the conditions make a huge difference to a RWD E63, so as you intend to use winter tyres in the winter you'll be fine. Michelin PA4's in 255/35 R19 all round work really well :thumb:

That looks like a Performance Pack model (red calipers) which means 557 PS :thumb:

It's top spec: Dynamic Multi-Contour seats, Driving Assistance Package, PPP (557hp / 800Nm / 300kph limited top speed), interior carbon fibre pack, etc. Nice car...

Yep, good spec, and with the extended Designo leather package and alcantara headliner, but I specifically wanted a facelift car (no offence to anyone with a pre-facelift, just personal preference).

I had a pre-facelift saloon E63 with pretty much all the options ticked (it was missing the interior carbon fibre and the rear seat entertainment, but that was all) and now have a lower spec facelift model. I prefer the LED headlights of the facelift car, and even though it is "only" 720Nm of torque, the gearbox and chassis feel slightly more responsive than the pre-facelift car.

Overall it's a difficult call which is the better package. It's certainly more difficult to find a fully optioned facelift example though.

Just to revive this topic: just put a deposit down on a 2014 facelift S212 E63 4matic, fully loaded (Drivers pack, B&O, alcantara, dynamic multi-contour etc) with 2 years warranty. Quite a different car to the A6 and it comes with a huge cost in fuel economy and tax (3000 euro in annual tax in Belgium) but an experience I am really looking forward to!

^ The E63 Biturbo will be a nice step up from the A6.
Congrats:D

M
^ The E63 Biturbo will be a nice step up from the A6.
Congrats:D

I hope so, as my A6 is mapped to 370 bhp and 816 nm so not exactly slow. Still, as a package and with that dinosaur sized V8 the E63 certainly ticks all my boxes!

M

I hope so, as my A6 is mapped to 370 bhp and 816 nm so not exactly slow. Still, as a package and with that dinosaur sized V8 the E63 certainly ticks all my boxes!

Given that you can get the 63 to do nearly twice that BHP with just a map, you will soon forget what A6 was. Congratulations on the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom