S212 E63 Kleeman wagon....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
Am I right in thinking a 2013 pre F/L 5.5 BT wagon is a rare beast. Let alone with these 'upgrades'. Looks like a decent colour combo, good spec, and interesting upgrades, I like it (shame about the seller!)

Gott in Himmel, that looks amazing. 750 bhp and all those upgrades. Condition: fantastic. (If there's a sign of wear, I can't see it)

And then you clock the mileage: 142,000

A perfect case study in how the E class can do starship mileages. Would love to hear its ownership story, if anyone follows up.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Putting the vendor to one side......what a glorious-looking S212. Those wheels really set it off and as for that interior....

I have seats and door cards like that but way more black - noticeably the dash & carpets. Makes a lot darker than that one. Also, that one has a pano roof and comes in one of my favourite colours. And a great price.

What's the catch?

Oh....

I'm being picky with that mileage, but on the motorhub website, the pictures look like every wheel has been chewed by a kerb, and the drivers seat (the one I can see best) is absolutely filthy brown, especially around the Designo badge at the driver's back. Wear and creasing on bolster of course. Although at this mileage, if you wanted to bring the car back, £600 for an alloy refurb and £1k on leather work isn't to be unexpected, and should be taken into account (difficult, due to the Kleemann factor).

Last edited:
Motorhub. There’s the catch. Hard to believe they are still trading
It is indeed. They do get fined 10's of thousands by Trading Standards occasionally but pales into insignificance compared to their £10m turnover. They nearly got closed down and their assets seized a couple of years or so ago, but may solely have been down to late accounts procedure. The car looks great and some of their stock must be perfectly Ok, but not a dealer I'd use, no matter how good a car appears to be.

I’m going to go against the grain here and say it doesn’t appeal to me.

It’s a high mileage E63 wagon, that has been tuned. The M157 doesn’t seem to have quite the same levels of longevity as some of the older V8s (look at Dennis’s old car and the £10k engine bill). I would prefer a standard car with far fewer miles for not a lot more cash and have better odds of not having huge bills like that.

Spec is good but these cars have decent standard spec and most tend to have plenty of good options anyway. The condition looks alright, but I’m sure in the flesh it would be as you’d expect for the mileage (agree with Gav - look at the trim around the drivers side ‘B’ pillar

It’s lost the OE 19” forged AMG wheels (£5.5k/set) for those aftermarket Kleeman ones.

And then you see who’s selling it... :doh:

I’d keep looking, there’s far better cars out there if you want a nice one to keep IMHO :)

It's interesting but looks grubby to me (okay, nothing that a detail wouldn't address) and the alloys aren't to my taste. What a sleeper, however; I too, am aware of the reputation of the dealer but have no recollection as to why the mud has stuck, so to speak.

I’m going to go against the grain here and say it doesn’t appeal to me.
I agree.

People often fall into the trap of buying something a bit scabby in the - generally mistaken - belief that "with a bit of spit and polish it can be turned into a silk purse". Almost invariably, once the cost of putting right what was originally identified as needing fixing plus the myriad of things that creep out of the woodwork that need fixing but weren't identified pre-purchase is taken into account, it would be cheaper to buy a nice example in the first place.

There are exceptions to that doctrine, of course, but the particular example in the op is far from cheap enough to entertain on the off-chance that it might actually be the golden nugget.

That just looks like a standard E63 AMG with a couple of badges added and aftermarket wheels.
Being Motorhub you can guarantee it looks better in the pics then in the flesh.
People looking for this sort of car are looking for low mileage immaculate examples with comprehensive service portfolios.
This will be for sale a while I guess.

The reputation of Motorhub alone would steer me well away from that car.

I like it a lot. Great colours and Kleemann TS6/7 wheels are a good looking wheel. I like Kleemann as a brand too.

It’s another nice and rare Mercedes which will remain unsold. Tragically the Brabus Rocket has been for sale there since 2012 and was for sale for a couple of years before that. The one that got away.

I have to say I quite like it. I seem to be a sucker for high mileage cars (I've got 5 and only 1 is under 100k, 1 is over 200 and one is approaching 300!) but that doesn't make them bad cars.
In a different place or even if it was a bit closer I might take a look, but there and waay up north, no thanks.

I like it a lot. Great colours and Kleemann TS6/7 wheels are a good looking wheel. I like Kleemann as a brand too.

It’s another nice and rare Mercedes which will remain unsold. Tragically the Brabus Rocket has been for sale there since 2012 and was for sale for a couple of years before that. The one that got away.
And the worry with less scrupulous traders is that if a performance car like this one is sitting on the forecourt for a long time then you might get the odd staff who decides to take it for a rag now and then with full throttle on stone cold engine.

The phrase "well looked after by previous enthusiast" then flies out the window.

At least it hasn’t got the gallon can of oil in the boot like the other one! ;)

750 bhp is pretty appealing, but I wonder if they have the invoices and dyno sheets to substantiate that? Knowing their reputation, I rather doubt it. Knowing the weak point (the conrods) on the M157 with only 550 bhp from bitter experience, I wouldn't chance it anyway, even if it had a third of the mileage and an impeccable main dealer only service history. Mind you, if the remap and fitting the Kleemann kit had been done by an acknowledged expert tuner like MSL, it might be OK, but I still wouldn't chance it...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom