S212 Lose the rising chrome strip ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotAnumber

Car
S212 pre facelift. Lots of previous Mercs
I quite like most of the chrome trim and roof rails on my black prefacelift S212, it stands out nicely but I'm really not a fan of the lower body slanted chrome strips. To me the sides of SE spec and E63 AMG cars look far tidier and cleaner for not having them. I know the trim just follows an existing swage line on the car but I just cant fathom why anyone would want to highlight that with a chrome trim. Much was made of taking styling cues from the old Ponton, I can recognise that in the styling of the rear doors but that car sensibly had its chrome trim in straight lines.

A trim in a straight line, parrall to the sills/ side skirts would just look so much better to my eyes. Does anyone else think the same about this or am I just stuck in the past with my sense of style blunted by my previous W124 and W210 estates ?

I wonder if it's practical to take these trims off without leaving any holes or paint damage or if I'l have to make them look less obvious by covering them in black vinyl.

I think many vinyl wrap... I'll be doing that shortly on my 212. Not sure if this will work, but a good chrome delete thread:

Thread 'Black out continues' Black out continues | AMG Lounge

My detailer also does wraps, although I only use him for detailing. Wraps routinely involve lifting and replacing trims without damage.

Like many things these processes are easy when you know how, but things can go wrong quite quickly when people start saying "how difficult could this be - I can do this.."

I quite like most of the chrome trim and roof rails on my black prefacelift S212, it stands out nicely but I'm really not a fan of the lower body slanted chrome strips. To me the sides of SE spec and E63 AMG cars look far tidier and cleaner for not having them. I know the trim just follows an existing swage line on the car but I just cant fathom why anyone would want to highlight that with a chrome trim. Much was made of taking styling cues from the old Ponton, I can recognise that in the styling of the rear doors but that car sensibly had its chrome trim in straight lines.

A trim in a straight line, parrall to the sills/ side skirts would just look so much better to my eyes. Does anyone else think the same about this or am I just stuck in the past with my sense of style blunted by my previous W124 and W210 estates ?

I wonder if it's practical to take these trims off without leaving any holes or paint damage or if I'l have to make them look less obvious by covering them in black vinyl.
I actually really like those chrome strips! Mines a Tanzanite blue so quite dark as well. I think the angle helps to define the wedge shape in a way and follows the other body lines. And it breaks up the expanse below the window line quite nicely. Whenever I look at mine in a car park say, I do think it’s one aspect that makes the car look quite special. But I guess in more of an elegant/smart way rather than sporty. Wrapping seems a good idea though so you can try it and always revert!

I know just what you mean about the chrome making a dark car look quite special in a smart, non sporty way. I do like the look of the chrome but not the angle.
Im measuring to see which sections would need to be shortened so could be made to work convincingly in a straight line.

They're just stuck on with double sided foam/tape. Use a fishing line to get it off.

The E63 W212 don't have them, so you can kind of get an idea of what it would look like without them.

I've contemplated it for a while, but I think I would want to do a wrap of the chrome on the window sills at the same time (though, they didn't do that in the case of the E63 and it looks more than 'fine'). It would probably modernise the car, but not really sure it's worth the effort!

It might also offer a modicum of protection if someone bumps the door (but only if they bump at exactly the right height, of course)

10.jpg

I was thinking of a way to modify the existing strips so i could then refit them in a straight line.
Realistically though it probably wouldnt be feasible to shorten the existing stainless steel sections tidily enough to pass as factory original. My current thinking is to remove and store the existing strips and then source a length of aftermarket self adhesive chrome strip that looks similar to the original but can be easily cut to length. .

Took mine off soon as I bought it 12 Months ago, have been on the lookout for a decent condition rear AMG bumper as the strip on mine is inset so would leave a gap.

Attachments

• 1652516536935.jpeg
    1652516536935.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom