S212 modifications.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Not that it's like me to modify anything :crazy:...but I got pig-sick of the column gearlever arrangement in the 212. The Man-from-Merc told me it was not possible to do anything about this because it fed directly into the can-bus behind the steering wheel. OH REALLY! :devil::devil:

Here's the (allegedly) one piece unit that's behind the wheel.

And the gearlever dis-assembled from it. The little plug is what connects to the can-bus.

With it's wires extended by a metre it's now mounted in the center console, where, imho, it should have been all along.

Bit of work still to be done to finish off the woodwork but I've now got a lever that moves fwd to go fwd and back to go back. Not up-and-down like a stoopid indicator arm.

Bonus is I've now got somewhere handy to put my specs and wallet.

And another thing...

Could never get my finger to hit the correct button to open my window.

Can now :bannana: :D

Last edited:
I love it when you jump on the tools Derek. I like the window button mod. I have exactly the same problem with the buttons on my Toe-rag. I'm going to follow your lead.

I have exactly the same problem with the buttons on my Toe-rag. I'm going to follow your lead.

TBH it's the same mod that was done to the 211 that Paul took over except the one on that was better executed. The buttons on these are a shell moulding which means when you drill in for a bolt they are pretty thin and can crack easily. What you see is a 3mm rod glued to the switch with a piece of rubber vacuum pipe slipped over and sealed on top with a blob of carbon black epoxy. It's a tad too long but works well despite.

Guy coming out to the house tomorrow night to film-tint the rear windows. Something else the 211 had that this car doesn't.

Last edited:
Would the centre console of an early 212 E220 model not provide an OEM solution to the gearshift? The 220's didn't have a column change, my FIL owns a "61" 212 E220 with transmission tunnel shift.

6511111020467561600x1060_zpswzvwdsai.jpg

Last edited:
Just need to transplant a 700hp bi-turbo powerplant now :thumb:.

Would the centre console of an early 212 E220 model not provide an OEM solution to the gearshift? The 220's didn't have a column change, my FIL owns a "61" 212 E220 with transmission tunnel shift.

That's got a five speed box which still has the change rod for f-n-r. The V6 CDi has the seven speed fully electronic shifter. The five speed would be nice though, I still miss my old 211.

I was worthy of thought though. Thanks.

Last edited:
That's got a five speed box which still has the change rod for f-n-r. The V6 CDi has the seven speed fully electronic shifter.
I suspect that the shifter on the W212 E63 would do the (electronic) job. Fully electronic R-N-D shifter with a separate (P)ark button.

I suspect that the shifter on the W212 E63 would do the (electronic) job. Fully electronic R-N-D shifter with a separate (P)ark button.

Or the shifter in our SL which is a similar design.

Fully electronic 7 speed with a button for park.

IMG_2109_zpsanw4lhtx.jpg

Or the shifter in our SL which is a similar design.

Fully electronic 7 speed with a button for park.

IMG_2109_zpsanw4lhtx.jpg

That's the very dab. Any ideas how much? Rumour has it that it is fwd for reverse and back for ahead...is that right? :dk:

That's the very dab. Any ideas how much? Rumour has it that it is fwd for reverse and back for ahead...is that right? :dk:

If it's the same as mine then yes, forward for reverse and back for drive. Sounds strange but it's pretty intuitive. No park on the selector though, it's a separate button to the front of it. Or at least it is on mine...

Gratuitous picture just because. :)

E63%20dash.jpg

I think just about every auto selector produced is the same, fwd for reverse and back for drive/1/2/3

It's when they reverse the manual override that really gets my noodle (before paddleshifters became de rigeur).

Downshifts should be push forwards and upshifts push back - work with physics, not against it.

With the selector its - Push left, downshift. Pull right, upshift. On the paddles, it's pull left to downshift, pull right to upshift. I suppose there's logic to it...

I think just about every auto selector produced is the same, fwd for reverse and back for drive/1/2/3

Spend forty years driving boats and you wouldn't be saying that. I couldn't get my head round it: that, and the 107 indicator is on the right. So exiting a roundabout I would flick it up by mistake and the thing would be in neutral. :wallbash:. The law of unintended consequences.

Sorry, yes, should have been more specific.

Strange how it came about, anyone know?

I have a similar issue with the button shifters on the rear of the CLS steering wheel. Once or twice accidentally down-shifted coming out of a roundabout...

Why on earth they still put the selector on the column defeats me. Every time I hop from car to car it catches me out. It's even more stoopid than the foot operated parking brake, just some relic from a bygone age.

But the confusion for me gets worse. Was driving the wife's Eos this morning and the manual up/down shift for the twin clutch gearbox is forward for down, backward for up. On my C-max runabout it's the exact opposite. Buttons on the key are in exact reverse order as well. It's like they all decided to do the exact opposite of everyone else. No wonder the EU is such a mess.

See I'd pay not to have tinted windows, it's a pet hate of mine.

I really dislike tinted windows. I had it once in an ML300 Sport and nearly had two accidents at night as a direct result of having tinted glass.

See I'd pay not to have tinted windows, it's a pet hate of mine.

I really dislike tinted windows. I had it once in an ML300 Sport and nearly had two accidents at night as a direct result of having tinted glass.

I'm agreeing with you there C22, I've got them in my S212 and they are a nuisance especially reverse parking in the dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom