S212 parking brake release problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C7pg

Car
E220CDI Bluetec AMG line estate
My S212 is now reluctant to release the parking brake, it's the old foot operated/pull handle to release variety, and now takes between 3 and 10 tugs on the hyanlde to release. It's worse on frosty mornings, and it's worth mentioning that the car spent the summer in hot and dusty conditions in Spain, our house out there is up an unmade but smoothish track.
Is the cable easy to identify and lubricate? or could it be the calipers that need some lubrication? I've no real idea how this all works but happy to get under it to have a go at curing it, to avoid the usual heat stopping bill at local dealers.
Thanks

The parking brake uses brake shoes that press against the inside of the rear discs, like a drum brake.

Funny you mention this, just had the same problem with mine. Took it in for a B service at the dealer charged me £70 to take rear brakes and lubricate the mechanism. Week later problem re- occurred now fitted new handbrake pedal. It was going to be £300 all in but luckily it’s under warranty.

Thanks chaps, I'll grovel underneath the next day it's not pouring with rain!

Thanks chaps, I'll grovel underneath the next day it's not pouring with rain!

I don't think you need to get underneath... There's an adjuster for the brake shoes that you can get to with a flat blade screwdriver via the wheel bolt holes in the rear discs, so just jack the car up with both rear wheels off the ground. Take the wheels off, release the parking brake and then on each side wind the adjuster out until you can't turn the disc, then back it off until the disc turns freely again.

Last edited:
Had a similar problem with my c class, park brake pedal would only release if it was lifted with my foot when pulling the release handle, removed pedal assembly, cleaned & lubricated bit still the same. Ultimately replaced with used one and now works fine.
Not sure if your model has the adjuster under the rear seat, if it does it may need lubricating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom