S212 rear ride height.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milleplod

Car
S212 E350CDi
Just had the airbags and valve block replaced - for the first time in ages, the rear didn't sink overnight! The os sensor arm is broken though - I've sourced a metal replacement- would that result in the rear os sitting a bit lower than the ns does anybody know? Or a different issue?

Pete

Just had the airbags and valve block replaced - for the first time in ages, the rear didn't sink overnight! The os sensor arm is broken though - I've sourced a metal replacement- would that result in the rear os sitting a bit lower than the ns does anybody know? Or a different issue?

Pete
Just looked again, it might've been my eyes! It seems level, no pump running on starting. Any comments gratefully received though! Am I right in thinking the car will stay at the correct height with a broken arm, but then won't level up if I add weight to the back?

Pete

Hi @milleplod
So long as it’s the equivalent length of the original it should be fine. I got adjustable ones for mine with a threaded rod with cup and studs so you can have standard or lower/higher. About £10 a side of eBay.

No it won’t stay the same if broken, usually the broken side sits up like a monster truck. Did you do the valve block and bags yourself or had someone do it? If your mechanic did it they might have cable tied the Brocken link as a temporary repair?

Thanks for the replies.

Done by a mechanic - no hi-rise look, so I assume they've done what you said, he had worked on Merc self-levelling and Airmatic previously.
The arms I've found are £30 ish each - do you have a link to the ones you bought at all?

Pete

When my right hand side sensor arm broke the car dropped to the ground on both sides. As a precaution I changed both with new sensors as advised by indy. Factory fitted sensor and the arm were of plastic while the new MB upgraded ones are metal.

Hi again Pete,
Have a look at the below thread I replied to to another member, gives an idea of what’s involved:

There’s a link to the rod links I bought from eBay, they were £10 a side when I bought them but look to have gone up to £12 a side now, but that’s everything, new rods, ball studs, cups and a protective sleeve for the rod but they need cutting to size. All simple enough for a competent diy-er or mechanic.
You could just pop down your local fixings and fastenings or engineers shop and buy the parts of the shelf too.
It won’t suit the OEM stalwarts, but the MB items are not great and expensive and the updated metal links are not available on their own, only as a package with a new sensor making costs go into the hundreds of ££, and they’re still not as good as some fixings you can by for under £30!
The sensors very rarely need replacing, just the associated links and hardware.
Good luck with getting it sorted mate 👍

Bit of an update.

I bought 2 ready-made adjustable rods, £60 incl delivery to my local garage, they're fitting them Thursday for me. I went for these ones just for convenience really, with more time available I'd have taken the cheaper route as above!

Another quick query! The car is level at the back, but it's definitely lower than previously. I'm thinking the fitting of the 2 new rods will remedy this, but would the lower height equate to a harsher ride? Or is that down to the new airbags....? The ride is now just like my previous W211 Sport's was!

Pete

Bit of an update.

I bought 2 ready-made adjustable rods, £60 incl delivery to my local garage, they're fitting them Thursday for me. I went for these ones just for convenience really, with more time available I'd have taken the cheaper route as above!
When one of my links broke I bought the readymade adjustable links, ready to fit there not. They were too long and I had to cut the threaded rod down the you'll need to drill the ball joints out from the original arms, and I seem to remember you cant use the locknuts on the ball joints because the gaps too small to fit them. A bit of a faff but better than the original plastic ones.

Did the garage make the links the same length as the original, that would cause a difference in height

When one of my links broke I bought the readymade adjustable links, ready to fit there not. They were too long and I had to cut the threaded rod down the you'll need to drill the ball joints out from the original arms, and I seem to remember you cant use the locknuts on the ball joints because the gaps too small to fit them. A bit of a faff but better than the original plastic ones.

Did the garage make the links the same length as the original, that would cause a difference in height
The new ones aren't fitted yet, they're being done on Thursday. The seller says they're set at the standard length, but are adjustable either way, no need for cutting.

Pete

Another little update!

New, adjustable links now fitted. The rear is at its normal ride-height, and the suspension feels nice and compliant again - after the 'bodge' the garage did on the broken link to keep me mobile, the rear sat noticeably lower than usual and the ride was quite harsh. The eBay seller went out of his way to ensure I got the links the day after buying as I'd told him we're off to the seaside this weekend - well done that man!

Mercedes E Class air suspension lowering kit, height adjustment link,linkages. | eBay

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom