S212 Rear Suspension - Parked Height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charliecloud

Car
AMG E63 S212
2014 E63 AMG

Does the rear suspension settle after it is parked up? Mine appears to settle after parking and turning engine off. The attached photo shows the height after being left for 2 days. The gap between top of standard wheel and tyre and the bottom of the wheel arch lip is approx 20mm. Thoughts ?

Attachments

• 99.jpeg
    99.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 7
Does the air suspension pump run for a long period after start-up when the car's been stood for a while, or is it just the usual few seconds?

If it does run for a long time then chances are there's a (very) slow leak somewhere - which will need fixing as the pump will burn itself out if it keeps running for extended periods.

2014 E63 AMG

Does the rear suspension settle after it is parked up? Mine appears to settle after parking and turning engine off. The attached photo shows the height after being left for 2 days. The gap between top of standard wheel and tyre and the bottom of the wheel arch lip is approx 20mm. Thoughts ?

I have a 2010 S212 and it started dropping slowly in 2020. I had the rear air bellows (aka air springs or air bags) replaced and that sorted it. It's a common fault with that particular bellow design apparently.

Other people have had leaking air lines and valve blocks.

Lots of threads on the topic.

First port of call is usually to have soapy water applied to all accessible air lines to reduce the likelihood of that being the cause.

Looks about the same as the rear of my 2014 E63 saloon, 2 hrs after being driven. I haven't had cause to suspect its leaking or dropping.
I must replace my wheel bolts with black ones!

20220606_180736[1].jpg

Does the air suspension pump run for a long period after start-up when the car's been stood for a while, or is it just the usual few seconds?

If it does run for a long time then chances are there's a (very) slow leak somewhere - which will need fixing as the pump will burn itself out if it keeps running for extended periods.
I have not noticed the pump at all, I will run the car tomorrow and have a good listen out for the compressor.

It had a new airmatic valve block fitted in Sept 2017 just weeks after it came out of warranty.

I have not noticed the pump at all, I will run the car tomorrow and have a good listen out for the compressor.

It had a new airmatic valve block fitted in Sept 2017 just weeks after it came out of warranty.

FWIW I didn't hear any difference in the noise from the pump in my 212 as I can't hear it anyway. (In my previous 211 the pump made a really obvious jack hammering noise from the other side of the bulkhead whenever it fired up so I knew when it was doing it's thing).

Anyway, if yours does actually have a leak, you'll see it settling further and further down over the course of a few days.

In mine it was much faster/more noticeable in the winter when temperatures had dropped.

So after 3 days of it being parked, there is no difference. Started and cant hear a pump, but exhaust on fast idle would drown out any pump noise. :D
Have it booked in next Thursday at Stevensons for front brake pipes to be changed, so will get them to do a health check.
Will report back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom