S212 towbar coding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ceejay

Car
E350 CDI
I've recently fitted a tow bar and a full "dedicated" electrics kit to my 2012 S212 and expected it to need coding on Star for everything to work correctly, the Westfalia kit said it was needed.

However it seems that everything works as far as lighting is concerned, even the trailer bulb failure monitoring and the rear parking sensors automatically get disabled. Is there any need for coding in that case, or is something needed to ensure that the Trailer Stability function works correctly?

As a side note, this is a very impressive tow car. I am using it to tow a boat that weighs in at around 2400kg, just inside the 2500kg limit of the Witter tow bar, and it is very stable and the power/torque of the 350cdi engine makes it effortless.

I got mine coded. It enables the anti-snake facility (allegedly cos I've yet to try it) and my data card was updated to include the towbar as if it was a factory fit.

Thanks, that is the bit I was wondering about, and reluctant to test!

Thinking of getting this done. Who did yours and which tow bar did you get? Thanks.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I bought a Witter tow bar from P F Jones with a dedicated electronics kit and fitted it myself. Very straightforward if you are reasonable handy with spanners and can follow instructions. Everything is pre-drilled and fits, no drilling or modifications are needed.

You do need a "special tool" though, basically a very deep 10mm socket. I made one by using a standard deep socket on the end of a socket extension through which I had drilled a 6mm hole in the centre, you need a pillar drill (or lathe) to do this though, I think it would be very difficult using a hand held pistol drill.

I've posted this a couple of times. If you go to Jones don't get the Westfalia wiring kit if you're towing a caravan. The cable gauge is not sufficient for the fridge requirement. Jones are aware of this and sell a British made loom which is far superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom