S212 tyres advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DoctorMesmer

Car
S212
When I got my late 2015 E220 BLUETEC SE estate (S212) it had 225/50 R17 Goodyear tyres. 225/50 R17 appears as a possible tyre size on the inside of my filler cap where pressures are listed.

I recently replaced all 4 tyres with exact replacements – Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 225/50 R17 98W (which is what the retailer's system suggested, too). However, I've since discovered that my car shipped with 245/45 tyres instead of 225/50.

My MB dealer and the tyre retailer have both reassured me that there's nothing to worry about – the new tyres are an appropriate choice for the car and perfectly safe. My dealer suggested that the previous owner may have chosen this tyre for a more comfortable ride.

Does that sound right – or should I have got 245/45 tyres?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

the rolling radius difference between those two sizes is pretty tiny so they will be fine in terms of that. There is very little difference in sidewall height so the comfort point is relatively unfounded (3mm diff). I would suggest it was more to do with cost or availability as to why they were fitted by the previous owner.

Thanks for the reply – that’s helpful.

One concern I had was that an extra 20mm in contact with the road on each wheel could make a noticeable difference in cornering – or 20mm negligible in this case?

When I got my late 2015 E220 BLUETEC SE estate (S212) it had 225/50 R17 Goodyear tyres. 225/50 R17 appears as a possible tyre size on the inside of my filler cap where pressures are listed.

I recently replaced all 4 tyres with exact replacements – Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 225/50 R17 98W (which is what the retailer's system suggested, too). However, I've since discovered that my car shipped with 245/45 tyres instead of 225/50.

My MB dealer and the tyre retailer have both reassured me that there's nothing to worry about – the new tyres are an appropriate choice for the car and perfectly safe. My dealer suggested that the previous owner may have chosen this tyre for a more comfortable ride.

Does that sound right – or should I have got 245/45 tyres?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
My car lists the tyre sizes in the petrol filler cap

Thanks for the reply – that’s helpful.

One concern I had was that an extra 20mm in contact with the road on each wheel could make a noticeable difference in cornering – or 20mm negligible in this case?
Unless you are driving on the ragged limit I doubt that you will notice the difference.

Thanks for the replies – that puts mind at rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom