S212 W212 Estate Rear Middle Seat Belt removal, how to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuboy

Car
E320 Avantgarde Estate W210 Petrol
Hi all I'd rather like to remove my rear middle seat belt inertia reel, it keeps getting stuck fully in and then you can't get the seat back up, which is a tad inconvenient!
Its a 2011 E class estate. I have managed to take the seat belt out at the bottom and now need to get it out of the rear seat.
Does anyone have a procedure for getting the seat belt reel out of the seat as I currently have no idea and i have had a scan of the net with no luck :-(
Hope someone can help?

I'm sorry I can't help, but as a minimum I'd expect the pesky rules squad to declare this a fail at MOT time. Not sure what would be made of it when you sometimes get those pesky Police random vehicle condition stops, or if there was anything to do with anything related as part of insurance claim.

I'm not telling you what to do, and the above is only some thoughts, which I post because you might not have considered all of them; there might be more, and the above might not apply or can be discounted, but at least you could check it out and make sure. So whilst I don't have technical input for the seat belt question, may be this can help with your decision or reassure your decision with more/increased info.

I, slightly regrettably, have the saloon with fixed rear bench, so I'm not lucky enough to have your issue. Hopefully someone will pop along who knows the ins and outs of the belt attachment 👍

Mr Greedy might have a point . Does the MOT state if your car came out of the factory a 5 seater and all 5 seats are still in it it must have 5 fully functioning seatbelts ? I have no idea , but better check first.

I had the same issue with my car...a 2011 S212.

The MOT advice is correct - it will fail test if not fitted and working.

My work around quick fix was to strike the seat back with a large rubber mallet to free the intertia mechanism.

Once released you need to remove the small plastic (round) seat belt tab situated on the belt & which dictates how far the belt retracts to the shoulder aperture. You then need to replace it with another tab....however, put the new one into the webbing (1cm or so I think) further back....this way you will have enough slack to release the intertia should it lock again....for me once the new tab was fitted it never locked again............I didnt use an OEM part - just a generic item very similar to original that my friend happened to have at his workshop.

HTH

Is there anyone that can actually answer my question, which just to recap is:-

A procedure for getting the seat belt reel out of the seat?

Please if you cannot answer the question don't spam the post.
Regards
Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom