S213 Disappointment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FWIW, I downloaded the manual as a PDF and keep a copy on my iPad and iPhone. There's also a version on the COMAND system (if one has that of course).

Yea I have a copy on my computer at home but still cant find much in it when I need it.

All I'm saying is... that with all the tech in these new cars I would have thought both to get it to change to KPH and French would be an obvious thing for it to do, when it does so may other things I'm not interested in.

I'll ignore the sarcasm as one always should :)

I'm now told it can but I couldn't find how, maybe cos I'm an old git!

Tim.... any pointer I spent ages trying to work out how.

Cheers

Nev

If it changed automatically to French I’d never understand what it was saying.

Mon dieu

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

with some speedy mental arithmatic simply multiply whatever mph your doing by 1.6 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
FWIW, I downloaded the manual as a PDF and keep a copy on my iPad and iPhone. There's also a version on the COMAND system (if one has that of course).

Did you find a copy of the GB manual to download, and if so, do you have a link? I could only find the USA version.

Alas, I only have the USA version apparently. Hadn't thought to check, but since you mentioned it, I've now had a closer look. :( The good news is that at least some of the content seems to align with our car.

If I find a link to a GB version, I'll share it.

BTW, our car (S205), came with a paper copy of the user guide and an electronic version on COMAND.

I have both a hard cop manual and the US PDF version. Can't say I've noticed much difference between them other than the smallest engines were not sold in the US market. Coverage of things like instruments and controls seems to be the same.

All UK cars must show Kph and MPH...all the time. Does your 213 not do this?

This is according to MB, hence why MB cars exported to the UK get a different layout in the LCD display (which can be reversed via the STAR 'delete UK' mod). On my W203 and W204 the outside temperature display was replaced by KmH display.

But while MB stipulate that UK cars must show both MPH and KmH at all times, this is not actually a legal requirement as such. The legal requirement in the UK is for the car to be be *able* to display the speed in KmH, but it does not have to do this all the time.

Indeed quite a few cars with digital dashboards have MPH display that can be changed to KmH. My 2005 Renault Scenic II had this - on the Renault, you can change from Imperial to Metric and back, but you can't have both at the same time.

Said that, I have no issue with MB's UK LCD display layout as duch.. yes having the KmH speed show at all times is a bit of a waste-of-space, but then I only need to see the outside temperature once or twice during a journey anyway.

I did get the 'delete UK' mod done to the W203 at the time, because bringing-up the outside temperature display required too many clicks, and I didn't drive it to the continent anyway.

But I didn't do the 'delete UK' mod to the W204 because the temperature display can be called-up by one click (I drive with digital speedo showing in LCD display, so it's only one scroll down to the odometer page where the outside temperature is displayed to the right).

My car can show mph or kmh on the speedo. But does not display both at the same time...but my car came from RoI where kmh is the norm and my speedo dial is different from the UK versions since the scale goes up to 260 whereas the UK version has a dual scale showing mph and kmh.

The dual scale is so good why did they do away with it?

My car can show mph or kmh on the speedo. But does not display both at the same time...but my car came from RoI where kmh is the norm and my speedo dial is different from the UK versions since the scale goes up to 260 whereas the UK version has a dual scale showing mph and kmh.

The dual scale is so good why did they do away with it?

Maybe some drivers were disappointed?

Same when I wanted to check if the (awesome) matrix auto LED lights needed switching over when on the continent. Couldn’t fathom it out. Nothing in the manual and finally found out online that slot beams don’t need any adjustment, immaterial of what side of the road you drive on. Should have known that right?
You can change it in MMI light settings to "driving on the right" option. Interestingly, the lights come back automatically to left side driving when you're back to UK, you don't have to change them manually again.

Didn't you go through all options in MMI and read manual when getting the car?

Never had a problem with starting ignition only, I usually do this first, setup everything and then start the car.

You can change it in MMI light settings to "driving on the right" option.

Not on my 67 or 17 plate A5 you can't. They both had/have options for auto headlights on-off and entry - exit assist. That's all.

Didn't you go through all options in MMI and read manual when getting the car?

Not all - but the ones I needed to check, and no mention of changing lights for left and right side driving.

Never had a problem with starting ignition only, I usually do this first, setup everything and then start the car.

For some reason I always put my foot on the brake when I press the start button, so it always fires up. Bad habit I guess.

Incidentally, Audi swapped my 67 plate A5 (June) for a new 17 plate A5 2 weeks back (they missed off a couple of options) and the firmware has changed. It now keeps the virtual cockpit on when the engine stops under start/stop. So now I can see whether the ignition is on or off. Before, everything went dark when it went into start stop mode, except the big screen on top of the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it will be if it can be done, but my many attempts at finding it have proven to be fruitless, the trouble is they don't come with a good old fashioned handbook, everything is now online or, maybe I'm just thick.

Buy an S211 (just like mine; I liked your old Pug, which persuaded me of the virtue of diesels, then in quick succession: an early E320 CDI -inline six - on 175k miles with a TDI tuning box - very impressed with car and box; a 2014 E350 Bluetec AMG Sport - with TDI box - didn't like the drive, the body styling or the cockpit; and now back in an S211 E320 V6 (yes, you guessed it, with the [remapped] TDI box) facelift and loving it. Xenons, COMAND, Bluetooth and parking sensors are my only must-haves; reversing camera and electric tailgate are nice; Keyless Go and all the rest - nah. Had them; they're all just gimmicks for people who like lots of toys. It has a handbook, and I can understand what it's doing.

Newer is newer, but not necessarily better...

Did you find a copy of the GB manual to download, and if so, do you have a link? I could only find the USA version.
Try the Mercedes-Guides on the Apple App Store - using this you can download the complete UK manuals including Comand but the interactive part of the App is much easier to use. Not sure if they have this App for Android.

The App covers all car models and even differing years e.g. C Class 04/16 to 11/16 or 12/16 to ........

I dont think you can change the little kph at the bottom of the middle screen to mph, i have tried on my w204 and i couldnt get it to change anyway

I dont think you can change the little kph at the bottom of the middle screen to mph, i have tried on my w204 and i couldnt get it to change anyway

There's a STAR mod known as 'Delete UK', it will remove the UK-specific layout of the instrument cluster and will restore the default (international) layout.

In essence the change you will see is that the KMH display will be replaced by a permamnet display of the external temperature.

I had this done in my W203 at the time, but did not bother doing this for the W204.

Last edited:
Oh thats a nice thing to have done! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom