S213 Driving Assistance Plus Package - Lane Change Assist Missing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blueboy2001

Car
2017 C350e Sport, 2017 E220d AMG Line Estate
Picked up a 2017 S213 E220d Estate with Driving Assistance Plus Package last week.

Should my car be able to do Lane Change Assist? It doesn't seem to do it - if I put the indicator on the steering assist icon flashes orange and nothing else happens. I can't see an option for it in the Assistance menu on COMAND.

I did see in one review they said it was a legal grey area in the UK and may be disabled?

All the other functions work perfectly - Distronic, Steering Assist, Lane Keeping, Blind Spot Assist etc so I don't think its a fault, it just appears to missing.

AFAIK Blind Spot Assist is Lane Change Assist. What did you want LCA to do that BSA doesn't?

Or just use your eyes, mirrors and judgment?

AFAIK Blind Spot Assist is Lane Change Assist. What did you want LCA to do that BSA doesn't?
Having done a 2-minute google, LCA is indeed BSA, so you have it. You will soon find out when you indicate right with a car coming up on you from behind in the next lane!

I’m referring to Active Lane Change Assist. The car is apparently capable of changing lane itself:

Assists the driver with changing lanes by means of steering torque as soon as the driver initiates the change by activating the direction indicator, provided the system does not detect another vehicle in the adjacent lane.

Mercedes-Benz E‑Class Estate: equipment packages

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’m referring to Active Lane Change Assist. The car is apparently capable of changing lane itself:

My 2017 E220D with Driving Assistance Package doesn’t have Active Lane Change Assist either.
I *think* its included in the DAP for model year 2018 onwards.

I thought I'd seen/heard somewhere that this wasn't legal in UK so whilst car is technically capable of this and in sone countries will do auto lane change in UK it's disabled in software. Feel free to shoot me down if you know different.

Assists the driver with changing lanes by means of steering torque as soon as the driver initiates the change by activating the direction indicator, provided the system does not detect another vehicle in the adjacent lane.

Mercedes-Benz E‑Class Estate: equipment packages

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Gosh, that's horrific. Thank goodness it's not activated in the UK. Talk about an accident waiting to happen.

I thought I'd seen/heard somewhere that this wasn't legal in UK so whilst car is technically capable of this and in sone countries will do auto lane change in UK it's disabled in software. Feel free to shoot me down if you know different.
My Mar 2018 E350e does it. I think it didn’t get clearance until 2018. I am sure it isn’t an option to turn on or off - you allow the car to do it or do it yourself. If you have the Distronic on and indicate the car checks it’s safe and pulls out - allows makes me smile and puts the wind up passengers if you are talking to them and the see the wheel move, the car accelerate and pull into the next lane. BMW now offer this as well.

I suspect that is the case. I'm going to contact Customer Services and see if it can be enabled.

Thanks @wivenhoe for confirming it works on your later car.

Do I need it? Of course not, but I bought the car primarily because of the technology fitted to it so if there's a feature that can be enabled I'll get it done.

I don't need to be able to move it forward and back or into a parking space from my mobile phone stood outside the car either, but it's pretty cool seeing it do that too.

I'd highly recommend the Driving Assistance Plus Package - it's fantastic in stop-start traffic.

Couple of things to look into :-
There is a thread on here from July 2017 and one of the guys confirms that his new E has it - I got my W213 in late June and am loving it. Very nice interior with nice options.
One of the options I chose was the driving assistance package and I can CONFIRM that my car does have active lane change assist. To be clear, when drive pilot is engaged, I put my signal indicator on for 2 seconds and it does change Lane (and speed up if the adaptive cruise is set to faster than what I was overtaking). You can change lane without anything in front of you as well.
This did completely surprise me as I didn't think it would be enabled until the new motor related laws were put before parliament.
Might be worth trying on your car to see if a OTA software update has brought in this functionality. - W213 lane change assist -possible to activate retrospectively?

Has your car ever been updated since manufacture ?
When you tried it, did the conditions comply with the criteria which seems to be -
The criteria for the operation of Active Lane Change Assist are:
  • operation of the turn indicator for longer than two seconds;
  • the unoccupied zone detection system allows a lane change within three seconds;
  • Steering Pilot is activated;
  • the vehicle is travelling on multi-lane, motorway-like roads, detected via the navigation module integrated into COMAND Online;
  • there is a separate adjacent lane, detected via stereo camera; and
  • the vehicle speed is between 80 and 180 km/h.
Good luck getting it sorted

Mine was registered and delivered in September 2019, with the optional drivers assistance package, and can confirm that lane change assist works as described my wivenhoe above. However, I seldom use it as it takes forever to change lane and you end up looking like a learner driver 😂. So frustrating though it is not having a function that’s been paid for, you’re not missing much!

Did you ever figure this out ? I am in the same situation with my w213

What model year is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom