S213 E220 Driving Modes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoristheBounce

Car
EQC 400 4Matic AMG in Brilliant Blue SL400 AMG Sport in Polar White
Someone mentioned in a thread I read earlier that the car they had just bought took a while before it" learned" his style of driving and once it had it changed the way it drove.

I've heard of this before on cars.

My question is.... on my new S213 which has its own choice of driving modes Sport, Ecco, etc, does anyone know if each of these driving modes are "Fixed" or does each one actually take information from your driving type and store it as previously mentioned?

Just interested to know, any feedback gratefully received, BTW about to drive South to Brand Hatch for the weekend so probably won't get chance to reply to any comments or questions as quick as I would usually.

Someone mentioned in a thread I read earlier that the car they had just bought took a while before it" learned" his style of driving and once it had it changed the way it drove.

I've heard of this before on cars.

My question is.... on my new S213 which has its own choice of driving modes Sport, Ecco, etc, does anyone know if each of these driving modes are "Fixed" or does each one actually take information from your driving type and store it as previously mentioned?

Just interested to know, any feedback gratefully received, BTW about to drive South to Brand Hatch for the weekend so probably won't get chance to reply to any comments or questions as quick as I would usually.

I think you'll find that it is the gearbox that 'learns' so that will apply to Sport etc If you want to reset the gearbox, say after someone else has driven for some time then you can do that by :-

Turn ignition on. Do not start
Press accelerator to floor.
Wait at least 10 seconds
Turn ignition off
Release pedal
Wait 2 mins

I think you'll find that it is the gearbox that 'learns' so that will apply to Sport etc If you want to reset the gearbox, say after someone else has driven for some time then you can do that by :-

Wait at least 10 seconds
Turn ignition off
Release pedal
Wait 2 mins

Many thanks, I will watch with interest if in-fact this new motor does learn my style of driving.

I've only had the car less than a month so this weekends trip is the furthest the car has been, I was very interested to note that in normal driving, from Durham to Brands Hatch and back the car recorded 58mpg that over a total of around 575 miles. On the way back the trip took less than 4 hours (not hanging about) with a quick stop in between so very impressed I am:D

Wait at least 10 seconds
Turn ignition off
Release pedal
Wait 2 mins
Hello,

Sorry to bring back this old thread, but what do you mean by "turn ignition on, do not start"? How is it done in S213? There's only the start button? I'm at 40mpg over 4.5k miles, which seems a bit high, looking for ways to improve it, maybe this will help. Thanks!

Hello,

Sorry to bring back this old thread, but what do you mean by "turn ignition on, do not start"? How is it done in S213? There's only the start button? I'm at 40mpg over 4.5k miles, which seems a bit high, looking for ways to improve it, maybe this will help. Thanks!
Press the start button so the dash lights come on but don't start the engine. I very much doubt resetting the gearbox will change much on a new car only driven by yourself. How many miles has the car done - you say a new one so if the engine is still tight that'll make far more difference !

Press the start button so the dash lights come on but don't start the engine. I very much doubt resetting the gearbox will change much on a new car only driven by yourself. How many miles has the car done - you say a new one so if the engine is still tight that'll make far more difference !
Thanks! But when I press the button, the engine starts. Do I need to press and hold it? Or press it just a little bit?

It wasn't new actually. Car was at 6400 miles 1 year old, average was 39.8 mpg when I bought it. I drove about 4500 miles on top of that in the last 7 months with 40.4 mpg.

Thank you!

Thanks! But when I press the button, the engine starts. Do I need to press and hold it? Or press it just a little bit?

It wasn't new actually. Car was at 6400 miles 1 year old, average was 39.8 mpg when I bought it. I drove about 4500 miles on top of that in the last 7 months with 40.4 mpg.

Thank you!
In that case the gearbox reset may help. Press it lightly - the warning lights will come on but the engine shouldn’t start.

The Honest John real world mpg site gives your car as 39 - 60 mpg average and real average of 50 mpg so a lot better than yours. According to that site the average for my E350e is 50mpg and I average 47 so pretty accurate.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate (2016 on) E 220 d Automatic - Real MPG | Honest John
I’m sure someone on here will tell you how you can improve it

Thank you!

Press the button without your foot on the brake so the engine cant start, this should just turn on the ignition.

Thanks Wivenhoe for the reset procedure. My S205 7 speed with 40k on the clock was a little lumpy changing in town. Followed the power on press and hold down accelerator turn off release brake leave for 2 mins process and what a difference. Car now smooth not lumpy in town don’t know about changes to mpg as only did it this morning. I keep a log of mpg so will be interesting to see if consumption has improved. If the dealers did this procedure at service time I would drive away feeling very happy rather than the normal that was a lot for no perceived difference to the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom