S213 E220d Add oil message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulXC

SUPPORTER
Car
2018 E220d S213 ||| 2012 E500 4.7 V8 Bi-Turbo Cabrio ||| 2021 Mercedes Sprinter Hymer Camper Van
OK … so cruising down to Barcelona in the 220d I get an add oil message.

It says “add 1 litre of oil next time you fuel up”.

Total miles on the clock 13,000, and next service due in 5,000 miles.

So has it used a litre in 10,000 miles?

Isn’t that rather a lot?

Asking 36€ for a litre of genuine Mercedes oil at the main dealer in BCN!!

Anyway - gratuitous picture of Hyacinth Red car in the sunshine! The light really makes the colour ‘pop’.

48146513147_4baeaa313f_b.jpg

Hi,
Isn't there an oil level gauge on the dashboard readout on those?
I would check it before you add the oil in case it was a spurious one-off message to add a litre.

A new engine might use oil as it is bedding in. One litre in 10,000miles doesn't seem like a lot but maybe others with the same engine and mileage might come on here to comment.

At that sort of price for the litre of oil I would have expected it to have a cork in the top and make a nice popping noise when when you opened it !!

The car does look great.

Ha ! wait until you run a V8 petrol M113 or similar . AMG V8 is allowed to use up to a litre per 1500 miles, that would be 'within spec' . If mine used that much I would be a bit worried, but 1 or 2 litres between services on my M113 n/a 5.4 V8 AMG is normal.

You only get caught out once buying a litre of oil on the motorway/main dealer, after the shock of that £££ :eek: !, you buy 5 litres online from MB Newcastle (30 and a bit quid last time I did it ?) and carry a litre of it in the car...or more if you are off on your hols.

Your diesel might actually use less oil the older it gets (within reason) .

Isn’t that rather a lot?

Asking 36€ for a litre of genuine Mercedes oil at the main dealer in BCN!!

Anyway - gratuitous picture of Hyacinth Red car in the sunshine! The light really makes the colour ‘pop’.

48146513147_4baeaa313f_b.jpg
Love that colour

You only get caught out once buying a litre of oil on the motorway/main dealer, after the shock of that £££ :eek: !, you buy 5 litres online from MB Newcastle (30 and a bit quid last time I did it ?) and carry a litre of it in the car...or more if you are off on your hols.

I fleetingly though about getting taking a litre of oil with me but I figured as it was pretty much a new car and our round trip was only about 3000 miles it would be fine.

I would check it before you add the oil in case it was a spurious one-off message to add a litre.

I'll check it in the morning before I start the return leg.

At that sort of price for the litre of oil I would have expected it to have a cork in the top and make a nice popping noise when when you opened it !!

Found plenty of other bottles with corks to pop on this trip - most of them are now in the boot for personal import to the UK. :D

Spooky! I have the same car (Red as well but 2017 model) and exactly the same thing happened to me when driving through France just after I'd got it. It worried me at first but then I topped it up as requested and it's been fine ever since.

My theory was that as it was a demo car when I bought it they didn't bother to top it up before selling it to keep their costs down (I wouldn't go back there again for other reasons!). I have noticed that after a service it's only ever filled just over half way anyway, although the level does vary depending how it's being driven when you look at it.

I carry a spare litre in the boot, but have only once had to use it when the add oil message popped up, at the time I was using Shell Helix. Since I changed to MB only because I found a very cheap source, I have never had top up between services.

Wouldn’t worry about it. I just put 2 litres of oil in the cayenne turbo, it’s only got 5500 miles on it ....

Don't new MBs come with a complementary 1l container of oil in the boot these days?

Hi,

I've checked it twice since and not yet put the oil as the level is showing bang in the middle. Maybe it was spurious one-off message - it was mid / upper 30's down in Spain, maybe the heat had something to do with it.

I've checked it twice since and not yet put the oil as the level is showing bang in the middle. Maybe it was spurious one-off message - it was mid / upper 30's down in Spain, maybe the heat had something to do with it.
I had a similar problem same model and year car, only mine had done approx, 7000 miles since last service same message came up.
Contact dealership advised do not put 1 ltr of oil in as may be to much Requested to take in to the dealership.
Took car in they dipped it with their own dipstick, and added the correct amount of oil, for which they made no charge. When they gave me the keys back they advised everything was now ok and they did not know what had happened. In reply I said I do YOU DID NOT PUT THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF OIL IN WHEN IT WAS LAST SERVICED AMEN.

It ended up needing half a litre ... I've checked every couple days since and it's showing the correct level on the virtual dipstick. Glad I didn't put the whole 1 litre bottle in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom