S213 Tailgate Strut Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FlyBoyRez

Car
E320 CDi
So, latest debacle with the car... I use the power tailgate opening, it goes up and then immediately drops fast, suggesting both the struts have given up the ghost and need replacing... or do they? Not had a chance yet to get the struts off and just try them to see if they have any holding power.

Trying ECP, GSF and Mercedes to get some... ECP want £124 for a pair, GSF want £92 for a pair and Mercedes want £122 for a pair.... and of course no one has any in stock though GSF can get them in by the 28th December. Any other recommended source for Tailgate gas struts? Trawling the internet it seems either they're really rare failures, or they're dead easy to replace and so no one talks about them...?

So, latest debacle with the car... I use the power tailgate opening, it goes up and then immediately drops fast, suggesting both the struts have given up the ghost and need replacing... or do they? Not had a chance yet to get the struts off and just try them to see if they have any holding power.

Trying ECP, GSF and Mercedes to get some... ECP want £124 for a pair, GSF want £92 for a pair and Mercedes want £122 for a pair.... and of course no one has any in stock though GSF can get them in by the 28th December. Any other recommended source for Tailgate gas struts? Trawling the internet it seems either they're really rare failures, or they're dead easy to replace and so no one talks about them...?
Dead easy to replace. Autodoc should have them. I got a pair from eBay and they’ve been fine for a few years now.

Dead easy to replace. Autodoc should have them. I got a pair from eBay and they’ve been fine for a few years now.
Thanks buddy! Looking on Autodoc now… crikey, so many to choose from!

Presumably 340N force, 222mm stroke are right for an auto tailgate car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom