S320 2002 Airmatic issues still not solved

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bladerunner2125

Car
S320 W220 2002
Have started a separate thread here see if I can get some more feedback on the Airmatic issues I am having.

The trader I purchased the vehicle from had a new Airmatic Pump fitted last week, I picked the car up on Saturday afternoon, the engine was warm when I collected the car, when I set off I heard and felt what sounded like something vibrating inside the car through the floor and the steering wheel, I stopped the car and listened but it disappeared, I carried on home I didn't hear any more noises so parked the car in my Garage over the weekend while I was at work, yesterday I took the car out for a run, the first thing I noticed was the vibrating noise again coming through the floor and steering, my back street is quite pot holey so the noise and vibration was quite pronounced, I got out onto the main road and accelerated away, again the Noise and vibration was just there, in fact each time I accelerated I got the same effect eventually it seemed to settle down and stopped vibrating but it took a good 10 minutes, I then took the car for a run through an area that has a lot of speed bumps the suspension seemed to be working could not hear the Pump at all, then I called into the garage for some fuel, on getting back into the car and starting her up I heard and felt the pump again briefly, took her home and parked her up, called my local Mercedes dealer today, who said that you should not be able to hear or feel the Pump in operation, said they would inspect it for £108 discounted from £150 due to its age??? thanks Mercedes!

Spoke to the trader this afternoon he his coming to collect the vehicle to take it back to the independent that fitted the pump, what do you guys think is going on here with this pump?

Its a difficult one to guess at and I feel sorry for you the way a new purchase has turned out.
The positive thing is that the dealer looks prepared to fix whatever problem is still there.
You really do need either main dealer or an independent MB tech to diagnose what the fault is.

Where are you located in case members here can recommend an indy? (Much cheaper labour costs for a start)

AMGeed, I am located in Bolton, this car is lovely to drive but the noise and vibration from the new pump is just not S-Class right now, the original pump was silent, and it was working because I watched them raise and lower the struts when they tested it out after the Airmatic error first appeared, from what I can gather reading from the Internet the pump is housed in a Pneumatic Pump Mount and this isolates the pump from the vehicle body so you do not feel the vibration or hear the noise, right now it feels like the pump has been bolted directly to the Body of the car? the trader is genuine I cant say he isn't that's why I purchased from him but its getting a bit silly now.

I bet the mounting bracket for the pump broke when they replaced it. Its rubbing on something I expect.

BlackC55, would leaving the car stood for a couple of days require the Pump to keep adjusting for the length of time it needed yesterday? the trader just now collected the vehicle they are really good people, feel sorry for them as well, but this vehicle is meant to be used for Public Hire once I have converted it to LPG, but right now modifying this car is the last thing on my mind!

I'm not to sure I follow?

When I ran the car after being stood for 2 days I could hear and feel the pump having to do its thing but it took quite a while to finally settle down, is this normal for the pump to need to keep adjusting for so long around 10 minutes before it settled? I am wondering if this could indicate an air leak in the system somewhere?

I bet the mounting bracket for the pump broke when they replaced it. Its rubbing on something I expect.

BlackC55 Just heard back from the retailer and your exactly right about the Bracket, the Garage who fitted the pump has ordered the Mounting Bracket directly from Mercedes, should know tomorrow if it has been a success?

BlackC55 Just heard back from the retailer and your exactly right about the Bracket, the Garage who fitted the pump has ordered the Mounting Bracket directly from Mercedes, should know tomorrow if it has been a success?

I'd never bet against Olly when it comes to MB top bloke well on top of the game

It will be that, it's very rare now that the mounting bracket studs don't snap.

Reading your initial post I thought bracket.

Well the Trader brought it back this afternoon with the new bracket installed pump is now Silent again, apparently the garage apprentice used cable ties after the bracket broke so the pump was just Vibrating hard against the car body, when I and the Trader looked under the bonnet today I noticed they had forgot to put the Plastic side cover on, the one that protects the pump from the elements they had just left it loose the first time around, Trader took car back to Garage but it turned out this cover also needs a bracket which they also broke but the apprentice didn't relay the information just removed it altogether this time? they ordered one from MB In Germany be here next week, MB felt the pump needed covering at the side so I couldn't say it didn't matter! felt sorry for the trader he is trying his best to correct mistakes he cannot control.

Sounds like that apprentice is heavy handed!
Glad the pump issue is sorted and you can at last enjoy the car.

Yes the trader got the Garage boss to speak to me on the phone explain what had happened? I wasn't impressed though, at least the Pump is working properly and the Airmatic issues have stopped for now, the vehicle is being converted to Gas at the moment, then I can really enjoy driving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom