S320 CDI (56mpg}

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddie01

Before I purchased the car people said I would be lucky to see 45mpg on a run, without really trying or checking I managed 56mpg, so yet another thing to admire about this car.
Anyone else seeing these figures?

Attachments

• PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 468
Wow! What year is the car? I have managed about 45 mpg.

have you checked the computer's accuracy manually?
i did with an e320cdi

computer was actually 2mpg worse!!!

Wow! That's fantastic! :bannana:It took me a fair while to crack the 50mpg barrier with my V6 S320 and the best certified (by tank to tank measurments) figure I have got so far is 53.6mpg.
Were you travelling north to south....'cos that's all downhill:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It’s a 02 model, I traveled from London Heathrow to Dover so South I guess :), traffic was a little heavy and I was happy to sit in the near side lane with the cruise control activated.
I regularly run the trip between Paris and Heathrow, generally the average on the UK leg is mid 40’s then I change the clocks to KPH, which changes the fuel trip meter.

That must be the slowest trip ever, what were you doing slipstreaming lorries:D

Lynall

It was a lovely afternoon, so sun roof open, music in the back ground and absolutely no point trying to make good time as traffic was stupidly heavy so I just sat in the near side lane, it’s not like I was in a hurry anyway, just sit back and take the magic carpet ride :D
I would have been very happy with mid 40mpg’s as it’s a fairly heavy car with what I would have thought to be a juicy engine.

That is an amazing return - driving my C Class 320 cdi - the best I have ever gotten is just over 50 mpg...and that is driving very carefully and slowly.

Attachments

• 21-08-08_1203.jpg
    21-08-08_1203.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 254
Have you got a character missing in that display Crockers? The S or C for transmission?

Managed these on trips from Mansfield to Edinburgh, car fully loaded with welding equipment and a heavy right foot :thumb:

PS. this was in the W204 220cdi

Attachments

• MPG.jpg
    MPG.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 231
  • MPG2.jpg
    MPG2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 234
Excellent figures and (almost!) legal speeds!:thumb:
But you cheated by using a smaller car!:p
The thing about getting good economy is an S Class is that you shouldn't!
As the Irish man said when asked for directions
"Well if I was goin' there I wouldn't be startin' from here":confused:

Last edited:
Is that all you got?! :p :D

Ok, ok, i also cheated...little clk, little 270cdi...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 220
In my 1992 W124 300D auto, A/C on 1800 miles run in Europe I manage to get 37.7mpg!! :bannana: car loaded with 3 people, full boot, and my heave foot, been doing anything between 80mph-100mph (Germany). tried flat out , nearly 120mph!! How is that sound?? usually getting 28mpg in towns.

Driving outside the turbo boost range on the W220 in top gear is extremely economical.

On heavily congested roads I try to get the gearbox in the highest gear for the speed range ad cruise below 1400 rpm. Even in town at 20-27mph in third gear (rpm between 1000 and 1400) I can get almost 40mpg. At speed between 42-52mph in fifth gear, (rpm between 1200 and 1500) I get almost 60mpg.

It is when you get close to 1800 rpm that the turbo start to have full boost and your economy suffer. At steady 70mph I only get around 45mpg.

Ultimately, the W220 CDI could use a 6-speed box with a 40mph per 1000rpm top gear.

Just an update,

Yesterday I part exchanged the S320 CDI, absolutely amazed with the car, can’t fault it in anyway.
Fuel economy pretty much remained at the same levels, I guess I found the sweet spot or the fact it was serviced to within an inch of its life (cheers Olly :thumb:). Very enjoyable for spirited drives on sports 2 setting, nothing earth shattering but competent.
I will miss the car, was very hard to part with it, few niggles during my ownership but not anything that would stop me buying another.

Happily, I replaced the S with a CLK 320 CDI (thanks Jay :D), it’s smaller a little newer and I like it, I really don’t expect the same economy figures as it’s so much fun to drive.

Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom