s320 cdi w220 airmatic issue. rear raising to max when parked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Upex

Car
2001 s320 cdi w220 & 1998 slk 230 komp r170
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can suggest anything with this one please?

Had a dozy woman crash into the back of me, minor damage, bumper, lights, parking sensors and bent one of the enhaust ends back on its self (that was fun straightening out - they well tougher than others, made of granite I expect).

Anyhow, since then, when the car is parked and locked, it raises the rear to maximum, ie far higher than the raise button lifts the suspension, could get a fist or two between wheen and arch. The front stays put though.

I searched here and found reference to the single rear level sensor and its hanging bracket type bar. Word was that these bars can rust through etc and upset the rear, so I checked it. All seems well, in pretty good shape really.

So. I'm now clueless as to why the rear raises up so high. It's not where I'm parking it, as its the same place as pre accident, and it never happened before.

Car drives fine, and the rear drops to normal when you unlock the car (starts dropping, its not immediate).

Any ideas folks as I'm keen for it not burn out a pump or anything major.

Many thanks,

Upex

Hi, I just had the same thing happen to my car, same model.

Interestingly, I also had rear impact, from yours truly reversing and not seeing object in the dark.

The back was raised high, front normal height. Upon opening doors the rear slowly dropped to normal height.

I will keep an eye on this to see if it is permanent or not.

So does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? The clue seems to be rear impact.

still rising

Looks like we on our own.

Issue still there, and doing my nut. Anyone got any ideas?

I've check the rear ride hight sensor, and even adjusted it a bit incase it moved in the bump, but still rises 4-5 inches when parked. Actually sits a tad low when being diven now, so need to move the sensor back, oups.

Read that it can be the valve block or some other bits and bobs that can cause the pressure to release from the res when the car is off, but can't find any info on how to diagnose or pin point to troubleshoot.

If anyone has any ideas, please send them this way as its been rising for a year now and I'm thinking it may well burn the pump out etc by always having to replace this pressure that releases when I open the door.

Thanks, Upex

My car's issues are sorted now. The cause was a leaky airmatic valve block combined with the rear impact for some reason. Once the leaky valve block was replaced, and the airmatic system repressurised, all was well.

I recommend you get an airmatic system diagnosis performed at an MB dealer. It will cost you about £100, but will hopefully identify where the problem lies. Then you can replace any bit that needs replacing.

Let us know if you get it sorted or not.

BTW, if it is the valve block then a new one fitted was just over £300 IIRC.

Cheers for the info. Not sure the cars worth it to be honest. After the write of (that was joke) its only worth a bit now and £400 is probably approching 1/3 or 1/4 of its value lol.

I may look into that though, as otherwise, its a lovely car. Just wish we didn't have loads of intercerance here that knocks off the distronic cruise, does my head in when it kicks off lol.

Cheers for the reply and glad you got sorted.

Upex

If you want to see what can be done for free then you can spray soapy water onto the valve block and press the raise body button. If you see lots of small bubbles forming then it is leaking air.

Cheers bud, ill give that a go. As least gives me some direction as to the issue I guess. Is it behind the front wheel? Passenger or driver side? Cheers for the help, much appreciated.

The valve block is behind the driver's headlamp. The airmatic air compressor is next to/below it.

The valve block has multiple (5 or 6 IIRC) plastic air lines coming out of it, 2 leading to front struts, 1 that feeds the rear struts, 1 to air chamber etc.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom