S320 CDI W221 Oil leak 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charlie87

Car
S320CDI
Hi,

I've noticed an oil leak on the drive way, nothing major, build up over the last week,

I've not had a proper chance to track down the leak but i've found a small leaking coming from the top LHS of the engine.

I have a picture attached, just want to know, does anyone know what part of the engine this is or what it does thanks.

I couldnt edit the picture but the leak is underneath the round plastic piece.

thanks

Hi. As an mb tech this us a common leak. That is the oil separator and it will be putting oil into the intake crossover pipe then dripping out the orange front turbo seal into the v then out a small drain hole above the starter down the back of the engine. Also had the lower sump pan leak but not that common tbh

Hi. As an mb tech this us a common leak. That is the oil separator and it will be putting oil into the intake crossover pipe then dripping out the orange front turbo seal into the v then out a small drain hole above the starter down the back of the engine. Also had the lower sump pan leak but not that common tbh

Thanks for the reply, I think that is the exact problem I am having because oil seems to be dripping down from the back of the engine even though the leak is on the separator.

How do I fix this, do i need to clean or replace the separator?

I'm going to jack the car now and remove the engine cover and have a proper look.

Thanks again

I have removed the engine and gearbox splash guard. It appears that I have the problem you where talking about, oil leaking from orange turbo seal into the V and out hole above the starter.

I have pictures attached. Looks like alot of oil to me but i've only bought the car so dont know how long its leaking for.

What do you think?

If I remove the oil separator and clean it in a solvent will this rectify the problem?

Oil collecting in Engine tray:

Oil leaking down engine abouve starter:

Oil collecting at lowest point:

More oil gathering around bottom of engine, do you think all this oil is caused by the seperator?

Thanks

looking to buy s320 l cdi 56 plate onwards been told they suffer gearbox problems ?

It could be the turbo to block gasket leaking??

looking to buy s320 l cdi 56 plate onwards been told they suffer gearbox problems ?

Been searching through a lot of different threads about the S320 Cdi, have'nt seen too many gearbox problems.

It could be the turbo to block gasket leaking??

I'll have to check that next week when I'm off work again.

Where the transmission is attached to the engine, oil appears to be collecting inside and is leaking through two tell tale holes, is it usual for oil to leak from the turbo area and collect in this pan?

I have seen them leak before. It's tricky to see. I use a bore scope.

Doubt it will be turbo to block gasket it's always the oil separator and orange seal. At work we replace bothe separator and seal cus if u don't you will need the m55 inlet port shut off motor very soon. That's the black plastic motor just bellow your turbo thats covered in oil lol. You will always have oil in the lines but with new seal and separator shouldn't be leaking the pipes anymore. Looking at your turbo you need to ask for the seal WITH ridge which I'm afraid to say is the more expensive of the two. I'd say 99% chance all of the oil is from out the hose as it's all localised to bellow starter and on base of bell housing.

[YOUTUBE HD][/YOUTUBE HD]
we have the odd issue but not common. Generally the torque convertors start to vibrate on light acceleration at m-way speeds or light inclines. Generally around 100000 this happens. We service 4 s class for a big company and all are on original boxes but had atleast 1 convertor but maybe 2 but all of them are over 200000 miles and used everyday. I think 1 has had a timing chain fir rattling on startup around 180000 but generally a great engine box and car tbh very few issues. Just becarefull of the oil leak onto the m55 and glowplugs breaking if you try and change them with a cold engine. Sorry for essay but knowledge is good if your going to buy a car. Hope I've helped

Last edited:
Doubt it will be turbo to block gasket it's always the oil separator and orange seal. At work we replace bothe separator and seal cus if u don't you will need the m55 inlet port shut off motor very soon. That's the black plastic motor just bellow your turbo thats covered in oil lol. You will always have oil in the lines but with new seal and separator shouldn't be leaking the pipes anymore. Looking at your turbo you need to ask for the seal WITH ridge which I'm afraid to say is the more expensive of the two. I'd say 99% chance all of the oil is from out the hose as it's all localised to bellow starter and on base of bell housing.

Essay is great, this information is invaluable to me, really appreciate the help :thumb:

Ok I will order new separator and orange seal tomorrow, will I need to replace the orange seal on the crossover pipe from the separator aswel?

yea it seems to be collecting in the bell housing and leaking out the two small holes which I assume are tell tale holes.

Oil only seems to collect on the driveway after a journey, if its sitting for a few days I don't think there is a leak, only after buying the car and it needs some body work so I'm not driving it all the time.

I'll replace them two parts and hopefully that will solve it :)

No the small orange seal is ok just wipe it over and push it in firmly. It does take a while to get rid of the oil as it lies in the v and only runs down in motion and when hot and thin hence why u don't get in when not been used. Most dealers keep the parts in stock. Make sure the o ring is included on the base of the new separator where it fits the the cam cover. 99.9% sure it is with the new one

No the small orange seal is ok just wipe it over and push it in firmly. It does take a while to get rid of the oil as it lies in the v and only runs down in motion and when hot and thin hence why u don't get in when not been used. Most dealers keep the parts in stock. Make sure the o ring is included on the base of the new separator where it fits the the cam cover. 99.9% sure it is with the new one

Great, will do. I'll report back, hope this fixes it, thanks again.

Hi I ordered this part above and the orange seal you wer talking about, this part cost 25 and the seal cost 12, but he said that the part in the picture was a pressure relief valve not a separator??

Last edited:
Names of parts on EPC can be completely differently described to what they are actually called. German translation!

yeah maybe, but I looked inside the part and there is a spring which would lead me to believe it is some type of pressure relief valve. I've ordered it and a new seal anyway so hope that solves the problem like Sriandy suggested.

Is there anything else I should look for with the S320 CDI W221 engine or gearbox?

Thanks
Cathal

Hi, there is a humming or low popping noise coming from the engine when it idles, sounds like its coming for the left hand side of the engine but its hard to tell.

I am thinking it could be the water pump?

Can I remove the drive belt and start the engine to see if the noise is gone or will this cause problems with the altanator?.

Any any other ideas what it could be?

Thanks
C

You can remove the belt and run it.

It could be worn big end bearings. They do suffer. They make a light tap noise when they are worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom