S320 - What oil to "top up" with ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Netrix

Car
Mercedes ML420 2008
Hello everyone -

My oil warning light popped on for a couple of seconds the other night. The oil level on the dipstick is right on the "minimum" level.

I'm due a service in 1500 miles (2 or 3 months motoring for me !!) so I was planning to pop down to Halfords to get some oil to top up with.

Question is, which oil ? The service book says it had Castrol TXT at the last service, so when I go to the shop will there be one "can" of this stuff or do I have to make a decision on 10/40 or 10/50 etc. (haven't a clue about any of these numbers :confused: )

Sorry for being such a numpty, pretty new to these wonderful cars and I don't want to do any damage !

I've read the difference between minimum and maximum level on the dipstick equates to about 2 litres so I'm assuming pouring a litre in would suffice ?

BTW: Car is an S320 on an R plate (1998) :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Did you or a previous owner arrange the last service? I would double-check with the person/garage that serviced it, as it's likely one of a couple of oils they use all the time, and should be able to tell you the exact specification.

Then go to Halfords and look for an exact match. If you can't find it, you have three options:

(1) If you intend to use same garage again, ask if they'll top it up, and book your next service as an incentive for them to help;

(2) Find the closest match you can, eg different brand but same otherwise specification, ie same numbers.

(3) Bite the bullet and get it serviced - you're not far off getting it serviced, and the oil has probably seen better days anyway. The cost of the oil may be a significant proportion of the cost of the next service (depending upon which level of service is required, and who does it) - so it may make sense to just service it, rather than top up.

I hope this helps...

PS Better to pour too little in than too much!!

Last edited:
If you are only going to run it for a short period pretty much anything that says it meets the MB229.3 oil specification would be fine. That may be above the specification for your vintage of car but that is not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom