S320L CDi - when was it first launched in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brett

Car
XC90
Does anyone know? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere. I'm really trying to find out whether the reason I've been offered a really good deal on one is because it was not officially launched in the UK when this one was registered....answers on a postcard...

Brett said:
Does anyone know? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere. I'm really trying to find out whether the reason I've been offered a really good deal on one is because it was not officially launched in the UK when this one was registered....answers on a postcard...

Hi :)
What I did when I bought my SL, was ask for the VIN plate number of the car that I was looking at, on the grounds that my insurance company had requested it as part of the info for quoting for the insurance change... Then I took it to another group and asked the parts department for some info regarding a car with this reg and plate as I was thinking of buying it... I was able to get lots of information back from them including one car that was posted as a UK car that came from japan :eek: !!!
Rather easy and free :D

peterchurch said:
Hi :)
What I did when I bought my SL, was ask for the VIN plate number of the car that I was looking at, on the grounds that my insurance company had requested it as part of the info for quoting for the insurance change... Then I took it to another group and asked the parts department for some info regarding a car with this reg and plate as I was thinking of buying it... I was able to get lots of information back from them including one car that was posted as a UK car that came from japan :eek: !!!
Rather easy and free :D

Ha! Cunning! Well I have the VIN number and I am going to see Western Mercedes Benz tomorrow about whether they want my car (I bought it from there in the first place). I'll see what they can tell me....thanks for the tip!

A mystery wrapped up in an enigma

Hmmmm stranger and stranger.....

My (new to me) S320L CDI was registered Mar 2002, six months before the S320L CDi was officially available in the UK. Full UK Spec though.

Interestingly, I got hold of the data sheet and it says "Production Order N" on it. I'm wondering whether I may have a pre-launch demo vehicle. It was disposed of by it's first owner in August 2002 just prior to official availablity.

It has a massive spec which makes me wonder whether my "launch car" theory is right. Spec from the datasheet includes (verbatim including their spelling):

M32 Capacity 3.2 Liter
220 Parktronic system (PTS)
223 Rear back rest adjustment and head restraints, elec.
247 Seat adjustment elec. also operable from rear
249 Inside and outside mirror automatic dimming
275 Memory package (driver seat, strg. col., mirror)
284 Selector lever, wood
289 Wood/leather stg. whl., leather shift/select.lever
297 Sun blind in rear door l and r
352 COMMAND
407 Folding table, manl.adjustab., in rear left
408 Folding table, manl.adjustab., in rear right
414 Electric tilt/slide sunroof in glass version
461 Instrument with miles ind. and english legend
540 Electric blind for rear window
551 Theft warning system
582 Climate control system in rear
596 Heat insulating+IR reflectg. safety glass all-round
600 Headlamps - cleaning equipment
617 Lamp unit: Xenon headlamps assymetrical
646 Light alloy 5-hole spoked wheel 8x18
668 Packaging for shipping vehicles with tie-down hook
673 Battery with increased capacity
682 Fire extinguisher
731 Wood trim, burred walnut root
802 AEJ 01/1/X
810 Soundsystem
816 Remote control for Radio / COMMAND (OMS)
819 CD Changer
833 Invalid/Great Britain, additional parts
860 TV-Tuner analog
861 TV screen in rear
872 Rear seat bench heating left und right
873 Seat heating front seats LH and RH
875 Windscreen washing system, heated
882 Interior safeguard/towing protection
883 Closing aid
984 COC DOC., deletion of vehicle registration doc.
989 Identification plate below windshield

Exterior paint

189 Green black metallic

Interior trim

238A Leather nappa gray / orion gray

Comments / ideas?

That's a huge spec, the car would have cost a lot of money new.

If it wasn't used as a demo car, it was still something very special, does it list who the first owner was ? If not you can check on this.

Very interesting, great car.

JumJum said:
That's a huge spec, the car would have cost a lot of money new.

If it wasn't used as a demo car, it was still something very special, does it list who the first owner was ? If not you can check on this.

Very interesting, great car.

Were you going to post a link for me to check? I haven't seen the V5 from the dealer yet so haven't got the information at the moment. Should take delivery in a couple of weeks once they have touched up the scraped bumper and properly prepared the vehicle.

I've had to take a £3k hit on my current S but it is worth doing - as you said this kind of spec doesn't come along often.

I did look at an S55L AMG but couldn't justify the insurance and running costs to my better half...

JumJum said:
Sorry,

for money you can check with HPI (better safe than sorry)

http://www.hpicheck.com/

I think you can still get info from the DVLA

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/foi.htm

Enjoy the car :D

Thanks for the tips - HPI check done by dealer and I've seen a copy. Clear thankfully. Will have a look at the DVLA site - thanks.

Well Daimler Chrysler have given me a definitive answer. The S320L CDI was introduced into the UK in September 2001 production. My particular car was UK supplied by MB in Newcastle.

Now I just need to convince my insurance company that Glass's Guide have it wrong and that it was not introduced in the UK in September 2002!

From Honest John website:

Straight-six S320CDI diesel arrived in UK in Spring 2000 with 197 bhp and 347lb ft torque

Revisions from autumn 2002 include ....new 197bhp S320CDI with 369lb ft torque.

Satch said:
From Honest John website:

Straight-six S320CDI diesel arrived in UK in Spring 2000 with 197 bhp and 347lb ft torque

Revisions from autumn 2002 include ....new 197bhp S320CDI with 369lb ft torque.

Yep and that is what I am currently running about in. Did the Limo version arrive at the same time? Apparently not according to Daimler Chrysler. Confused? You should be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom