S350 - Can't always select drive or reverse since engine clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GordonR

Car
E320Cdi W211
Can someone please assist. I have a 2006 W221 S350. A while back after checking the oil, did not put cap back on correctly in that engine oil “spewed” all over the right hand of the case and over the manifold and alternator. After refitting correctly, went about gunk all over the mess from the cam cover down and around the back of the transmission housing and jet washed thoroughly. Anyway, started the car and left running to dry out, only to find the car had locked itself! Panicking, I managed to get in using the spare emergency key, however; was unable to select drive or park and could not actually switch the engine off either. Eventually, it worked and I thought nothing of it as I must have got something too wet. Let everything dry out thoroughly. Anyway a few weeks on I do have occasions where I can’t move out of neutral and unable to select drive or reverse or even park. Shut the engine off, start and try again and it tends to be ok, albeit sometimes after a couple of attempts. But still stores faults.

The car has NEVER had any faults of below nature and only covered 58K. Could it be simply that the jet wash has dislodged an electrical contact that serves the transmission that I should be looking for?, as I now have a shopping list below. I have highlighted a couple key ones I think from looking at the internet. Also, where is the N47-5 ESP unit located and could it be a bad connection here?

Really appreciate some guidance.

I have plugged my iCarsfoft OBDC reader in and tend to get loads of errors,:-

0722 – Signal from component Y3/8n3 output speed sensor (VGS) is not available

D40A – No CAN message received from control unit N47-5 ESP Control Unit

1923 – Similar message as above

1991 – Telling me selector moved to N by driver above 5mph

1789 – Fault Present in control module transmission (P0730)

1793 – Fault present in control module transmission. Battery voltage too high (P0563)

1425 Wheel speed signal implausible

5304 – Right inner radar sensor from bumper disrupted by interference external transmitter

7403 – Chassis Can Bus – CAN signals sent from control unit N47-5 are implausible (wheel speed)

5204 – Component AB6/1b2) Left inner radar sensor front bumper disrupted by interference external transmitter

741E- Distronic Plus No function – Read fault memory of control unit N47-5

7409 - Chassis Can Bus – No CAN message received from control unit N47-5 (ESP Control unit)

7473 – CAN signal “Ratio” from control unit Electronic Transmission control is implausible

5114 – L6/2 Right Front speed sensor, implausible wheel speed

5132 – L6/4 Right Rear speed sensor, implausible wheel speed

5112 - L6/2 Right Front speed sensor, carry out visual inspection

5116 - L6/2 Right Front speed sensor, carry out visual inspection

5995 – Hydraulic system of brake was overheated

584F – Can signal “Wheel Speed” from control unit N47/5 is implausible

D955 – Temperature of control unit COU (ZBE) too high

If you have a fuse box by the bonnet strut, it’s next to that from what I can see.

If you have a fuse box by the bonnet strut, it’s next to that from what I can see.
Thank you - I have found a You Tube video indicating a faulty speed sensor can throw things and prevent selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom