S350 CDI starting problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilbert121262

Car
w221 350L CDI Blutec
Hope someone has an idea about this problem. Couple of months ago I got in car and turned key and the starter did'nt turn, at first I thought I had'nt turned key properly, so flicked key again and all ok it started as normal. Next day it did it again but started on second key turn. Next day warm start again all the lights on on dashboard, but turning key was just not having any effect. Then it flashed up BAS Inoperative, Esp inoperative and tyre pressure warning system not working. Turned the key back and too start again and starter motor kicked in and it started. Rang my trusty Indie and arranged too drop it off in the morning. Anyway about 4 hrs later went to start it and same again, except this time it would not go. Tried spare key and still no joy. All the lights on dashboard on but no starter turning and the above messages again. After about 10 mins of turning key all of a sudden starter motor turned and it started, no warning messages apparent after start.
Took it straight down to him so he could have it in the morning. He plugged it in but no codes present, he took it for the mot so it was started many time and no problems at all.

So two months later and same thing, twice it did'nt start first turn of key and then this afternoon same scenario, one thing I did notice is that even the the car was warm after a 20 min drive when the ignition on and everything lit up temp gauge was on 0. Every time i turned the key and nothing i could hear a relay noise comeing from boot area, opened boot and shut it it and low and behold it kicked in and started, weird.

Think this is an intermittent fault which is more frustrating.

Before anyone asks when it does this the starter motor is not turning, its like I have not turned the key to start it.

Anyone

Possibly the EIS failing? Malcolm (television) may shed more light on this type of fault.

Alfie

Thought it might be EIS but no codes showed up and can you turn the ignition to on when it fails, as it means you can put it into neutral and turn handbrake off, surely security risk. Merc usually pretty hot on these things

Not done it for awhile but problem reared its ugly head again, still non the wiser as to the cause

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom