S420 (W140) - help with value and advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Came across an S420 (93, I think with the contrast bumpers/lower trim) in blue black metallic with grey interior with 2 owners and 60k miles.

In great condition. Only a tiny bit of rust on rear arch. Paintwork otherwise perfect. Slight delamination on rear window. Interior is pretty much perfect. A source I trust tells me that it is mechanically sound and well maintained.

Been sat around for a while, will need recommissioning (new tyres, discs/pads).

The is some oil weeping around 5 inches from the top of the V8. Apart from that, engine bay clean.

Any suggestions on value?

Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks.

A grand maybe? Two if it's really nice.

Why has it been sitting so long? If you're not careful you could end up buying a money pit, even mechanically sound cars can soak up cash :)

Does everything work properly? Air con ice cold, electrics/vacuum locking etc (does it have soft closing doors etc?)

A set of tyres/service/oil leak etc could swallow another thousand or so?

chap who bought it is a hoarder .. he has C43 estate and E55 (210) Estate, plus vans etc.

Everything works properly .. at least that is what is promised.

in my mind, the 'recommissioning' will be at least £1500.

No soft close doors. 1st registered 1 Nov 94.

A mid-90s W140 gas-guzzler has little appeal as a classic car and with no MOT, an undiagnosed oil leak and obvious rust (as well as the inevitable list of problems that you have yet to discover) it's probably worth no more than £500.

oil leak is camshaft rocker cover

I'd let them take it for an MOT and see what they spot, rocker cover a simple enough fix, just make sure its not masking another leak lower down ie cylinder head.

P

I believe that model year suffers from the biodegradable wiring loom/harness insulation issue. There are plenty of threads online about this particular topic The issued was resolved after MY1996 for the W140.

From what I have read replacing the upper loom yourself is fairly easy if you overlay the new harness over the old one and methodically unplug the connectors one by one whilst plugging in the new loom. IIRC, a replacement upper loom is around £400-500 mark. There is also a lower loom in the engine bay that can be troublesome too and is not as easy to replace due to its routing and location.

Because it has been sitting for so long I'd be very wary: check all the electrics are working (windows, seats, air-con, sunroof, central locking). I would reckon a fair price would be in the region of £500-£750 assuming you may have to throw £1000-£2000 to get it fully up and running.

Last edited:
I believe that model year suffers from the biodegradable wiring loom/harness insulation issue. There are plenty of threads online about this particular topic The issued was resolved after MY1996 for the W140.

From what I have read replacing the upper loom yourself is fairly easy if you overlay the new harness over the old one and methodically unplug the connectors one by one whilst plugging in the new loom. IIRC, a replacement upper loom is around £400-500 mark. There is also a lower loom in the engine bay that can be troublesome too and is not as easy to replace due to its routing and location.

Because it has been sitting for so long I'd be very wary: check all the electrics are working (windows, seats, air-con, sunroof, central locking). I would reckon a fair price would be in the region of £500-£750 assuming you may have to throw £1000-£2000 to get it fully up and running.

thanks for this. I was not aware it has a wiring loom issue.

Run Shaun, run.

If you want a W140 I would either get an early model that has had the wiring loom done or a later post 1996 model *and* one that is in regular or semi-regular use. These cars don't react well to extensive periods of sitting around - that applies to all vehicles - but they suffer more so because of their complexity.

Just be careful as MY1996 was the crossover year. It has been known for some 1996 registered cars to have the old degradable loom.

If you look around carefully you can get decent "sorted" sub-100k mile late (and early) W140s for around £2-£3k mark privately which is where you'd end up if you threw money at this particular car. Obviously, for an early car at that price you'd want proof (receipts, invoices, visual inspection) that the loom(s) have been replaced.

S280s because of their unpopularity (small engine, but perfectly adequate) are practically given away even if in top condition - they go for stupidly low money. S320s are the most common and desirable but can suffer from oil leaks at higher mileages. The V8s (420 and 500) are regarded as being the most durable engines fitted to these cars. The V12 is complex and is a huge money pit if not properly looked after. LWB cars command a small premium over equivalent SWB vehicles.

This vehicle you are interested in may not be a bad car at all but just be prepared to perhaps spend up to £2k on it. After that you should have a car that is reliable and good to use. A pre-purchase inspection at a respected indie may be worth paying for to get a quotation on how much it would really cost to bring it up to shape.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
my indie says wiring loom on car only an issue if it gets too hot.

it is definitely a pre 96 car, and wiring loom not done.

I am budgeting around £2k to get all fluids, spark plugs, tyres, filters and discs/pads changed.

I am budgeting around £2k to get all fluids, spark plugs, tyres, filters and discs/pads changed.

I think the wiring loom issues is more of an age thing, all engines get hot. I would certainly look into it carefully?

Wiring loom degradation is a real issue at any temperature - you will get shorting and misfires and ECU damage too. I've had it on two W124s and Del320 here had to have a new ECU as well, which was not cheap.

It is not a greatly expensive thing to sort, but as with all cars that have been standing, there is normally a reason for that which may indeed not be mechanical, but often is.

At this rate, I will have to get the car for free ...

Check the wires going into temp sensor, peel back cover and check, if shot there likely all shot in upper engine loom...but again only the bio-degradable ones, not a general problem

P

sounds like the bio degradable wiring loom issue is when it happens, not if it happens

The car was designed with biodegradable wiring loom insulation from the outset. :doh: :eek: :mad: It was clearly a recognized and acknowledged issue hence why they reverted back to non-degrading looms for MY1996.

Heat will speed up the process but degradation is also time dependent. "When, not if" is a good way to sum it up. It will happen to this car eventually if it has not already done so.

Perhaps ask your indie if he can price up what each loom costs (upper and lower) from MB and the book labour time for fitting so that if it does go you are prepared for the potential cost then negotiate appropriately with that price in mind.

new wiring harness from MB: £1300 :eek::eek:

or locally made by reputable firm on Kent coast for £385 ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom