S500 - Noise when braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

///AMG55

Car
w124
Hello

So, I am getting a roaring noise when braking from high speed. It sounds just like a broken wheel bearing. The noise comes from the front of the car.

When I stop braking and let the car slow down on its own, the noise goes away.

So I replaced several parts but was not successful at solving this issue. I replaced:

- Wheel bearings
- Tires
- balanced tires + performed wheel alignment
- Brake discs + pads
- Brake calipers

Small video I made. Starts braking at 5 seconds. You may need to use earphones to hear the noise.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would be great if I could get some help.

Thanks!!
Jake

Last edited:
When did this noise first start?
What type of discs did/does the car have?

When did this noise first start?
What type of discs did/does the car have?

Noise started about two months ago. By that time, I replaced several parts but noise still there.

The car has and had the drilled genuine MB discs.

The car has and had the drilled genuine MB discs
These can be noisy, certainly on my S203 Sport Pack they could 'growl' quite noticeably.
Perhaps try different pads?

What model of S class are we talking about ? W140,220,221,223
When you are braking hard from high speed there is considerable weight transfer going on and a degree of "wheels driving the transmission" rather than the other way round. I wonder if some large component engine/gearbox/transmission shaft are shifting position possibly causing the noise?

These can be noisy, certainly on my S203 Sport Pack they could 'growl' quite noticeably.

I have an S350 that has the same drilled rotors and there is some growl but not as much as my S500.

I have an S350 that has the same drilled rotors and there is some growl but not as much as my S500.

What model of S class are we talking about ? W140,220,221,223
When you are braking hard from high speed there is considerable weight transfer going on and a degree of "wheels driving the transmission" rather than the other way round. I wonder if some large component engine/gearbox/transmission shaft are shifting position possibly causing the noise?

Actually its a W220 S500.

Other than brakes, I was thinking that maybe noise is coming from the flex disc or shaft bearing.

But replaced those parts already a few years ago and also did a recent visual inspection. The parts looks still good to me.

What about worn engine / gearbox mounts allowing enough movement under weight transfer for something to undergo reduced clearance to body/transmission tunnel / radiator cowl etc and produce a rubbing noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom