S500 Phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

I have 2002 W220 and it has the features on the dash and steering wheel for the phone system but I don't have the phone installed. Can anyone tell me if the required wiring etc is pre insalled in to these cars and if so can the mercedes phone be fitted or is it a trip down to halfords for the installation of a parrot system?

Thanks

yes, pre-wiring was standard. There should be a cradle in the handrest that will fit a number of (older) Nokia phones. I have one permanently installed there. The cradle can be replaced for newer phone models.

The cradle should take the Nokia 6210.

I had a look for a cradle but no sign of it. Should it be inside the centre armrest?

I had a look for a cradle but no sign of it. Should it be inside the centre armrest?

Most likely yes.

Halfords will do a Parrot for £120 fitted, not perfect but 10 times better than a headset.

I have now got my hands on a nokia 6210 so what comes next. How do you connect the phone in to the cradle (what type of wire) and when it is connected will the phone system become operational or will this have to be programmed in?

Just stick it in the cradle. It should plug into the rear and fire up (initialise) with key in ignition and with COMAND turned on, select telephone. It will operate from steering wheel controls too

Last edited:
Just stick it in the cradle. It should plug into the rear and fire up (initialise) with key in ignition and with COMAND turned on, select telephone. It will operate from steering wheel controls too

This is really confusing, MBMan says the phone kit was standard (in UK, not everywhere) but the owner does not find any cradle? :confused:
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=685309&postcount=5

If one can find the phone cradle, it should be obvious how to put the phone in (at least that no wires are needed). What if the car didn't have a cradle after all.

You are correct I don't have the cradle after all. I was looking at what I thought was a connection port so sorry for the confusion (clearly a blonde moment). With this in mind it looks like I will have no option but to have a parot system installed

This does not make any sense to be honest. I just check the brochures again and the phone prewiring was standard, not an option, so the cabling and the cradle should be there. :confused:

You are correct I don't have the cradle after all. I was looking at what I thought was a connection port so sorry for the confusion (clearly a blonde moment). With this in mind it looks like I will have no option but to have a parot system installed

There are two levers on the centre armrest, one opens the top half for the phone cradle, the other opens the bottom half. Try again :)

There should also be a Nokia interface module (size of fag packet) under the rear offside passenger seat.

If you post your chassis number on here or pm someone you can tell if it was prewired at factory build

Last edited:
I've got a cradle in mine for the 6110 (really old) I bought one off ebay for a fiver, but when I put it in there, it didn't work through comand. As my CD changer is not working, my local mechanic told me it was this that was causing it not to work (something about failure of one component on the D2B ring will cause all components to fail)

So he told me to buy a bypass tool (a piece of plastic which connects to the fibre optic leads at the cd changer end) and the phone should work.

It didn't. Please advise.

On top of this, I checked under the rear passenger seat and didn't find any form of control unit.

However in the boot, I found this:

What is it?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I've got a cradle in mine for the 6110 (really old) I bought one off ebay for a fiver, but when I put it in there, it didn't work through comand. As my CD changer is not working, my local mechanic told me it was this that was causing it not to work (something about failure of one component on the D2B ring will cause all components to fail)

So he told me to buy a bypass tool (a piece of plastic which connects to the fibre optic leads at the cd changer end) and the phone should work.

It didn't. Please advise.

On top of this, I checked under the rear passenger seat and didn't find any form of control unit.

However in the boot, I found this:

What is it?

Are you sure you have not posted these photos earlier? At least we have seen these before. Looks like a "Hid Tech Armada XC" car tracking device.

Considering your phone issue, did you also unplug the CDC power wiring harness? I'm afraid the connected wake-up wire could confuse the system still. If it isn't this, it still looks like something wrong with the D2B loop, assuming your phone kit is from the factory and is on the loop. D2B allows modifying the loop, it should start working if you get rid of faulty units.

Are you sure you have not posted these photos earlier? At least we have seen these before. Looks like a "Hid Tech Armada XC" car tracking device.

Considering your phone issue, did you also unplug the CDC power wiring harness? I'm afraid the connected wake-up wire could confuse the system still. If it isn't this, it still looks like something wrong with the D2B loop, assuming your phone kit is from the factory and is on the loop. D2B allows modifying the loop, it should start working if you get rid of faulty units.

Yeah I posted these on benworld.org. People there thought it was some form of tracker too. One person thought it was a linear compensator (woteva that may be).

All the cd changer leads are disconnected, so I dunno why the phone's not working. Does it need to be star programmed?

Another thing is, why have I not got a control unit under the rear passeneger seat. (I checked the rear RH passenger seat behind the driver's seat)

Thanks!

Yeah I posted these on benworld.org. People there thought it was some form of tracker too. One person thought it was a linear compensator (woteva that may be).

All the cd changer leads are disconnected, so I dunno why the phone's not working. Does it need to be star programmed?

Another thing is, why have I not got a control unit under the rear passeneger seat. (I checked the rear RH passenger seat behind the driver's seat)

Thanks!

The D2B loop should work as long as the devices on the ring are fine. The system may collect odd fault codes but that should not be your headache now.

If you have a phone kit in the car (didn't someone say it was standard on UK cars), the control unit should be behind/under the rear passenger seat. Perhaps someone has removed it?

I'd like to know which D2B devices the car had from the factory (you can decode that from the VIN). Next I'd trace the fibre from the head unit output to the next active device on the ring to see if the fibre is fine. If the laser light appears at the input of the next device, then reconnect the cable and look from the input of the next one in the loop. A visual inspection could already reveal an issue.

If the loop is fine (judged from the laser light) , it could still be that one of the control units in the loop has failed. Then bypassing devices one by one, if necessary, leaving a single unit active and connected at a time should show which one is acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom